Problem with restored hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xchapman, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xchapman

xchapman Registered Member

I have a Dell Latitude D810 notebook wich came with a 60 GB hard drive. I need additional space and have secured a new 100 GB drive. Only one drive can be connected at any given time.

I also have a large USB drive where an image of the 60 GB drive was saved. I burned a bootable rescue CD-ROM, powered down the notebook, replae the 60 GB drive with the 100 GB drive, restated the notebook and restored the image from the USB drive to the new 100 GB drive...

My new 100 GB drive thinks it is a 60 GB drive. What have I done wrong? Is there a way to recover the missing 40 GBs? Please advise.

John
    jchapman at onlinecbt.como_O o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2006
  2. dld

dld Registered Member

Re: Porblem with restored hard drive

Read this Menorcaman's post. His answer was given in reply to someone who had cloned. The same applies in your case.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that besides of the Menorcaman's instructions mentioned by dld you can also change the size of your partitions using special partition managing software such as Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, for example.

The free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is available here.

The full version of this product can be purchased in Acronis online store.

Please also note that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home allows resizing partitions upon their restoration. You can find more information on how to change the size of the restored partitions in section 6.3.8 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

We also recommend that you take a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis Public Knowledge Base and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. picker77

picker77 Registered Member

Xchapman, on my Dell E1505 I had the same problem. I downloaded a copy of "Ultimate Boot CD" from www.ultimatebootcd.com (this is a GREAT utility disk), and used Hitachi's "Feature Tool v2.xx" from that CD to edit the drive firmware's capacity parameter back to what it should be, then reformatted the new drive as NTFS. Then I put the old (smaller) drive back in the laptop, made a new backup of ONLY the FAT16 EISA Configuration partition and the NTFS C drive partitions, reinstalled the new drive, and restored those two partitions to the new drive, using the "resize partition" option for the C partitiion when I did the restore to expand the C partition to the size I wanted it. This worked for me. Of course, now I don't have the Dell Ctrl-F11 Restore function available on the new drive, but it's still on the old drive if I ever need it, which I doubt.

It appears that something in the 4.6 GB Dell Restore partition resets the target drive's capacity to that of the drive the backup image came from when you do a complet image restore. My work around simply avoids backing up and restoring the Dell partition, which in turn appears to avoid the problem. If nothing else works, you might try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.