Problem with my computer...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tarnak, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I went into 'Safe Mode with Networking', after having a problem where the my wireless USB mouse has frozen.

I am typing this from a PS/2 keyboard, and was able to enter my login details, after managing to get hold of a PS/2 mouse.

The problem has happened as a result of an Emsi Malware update earlier this morning, and getting a popup alert from OA, while the update was proceeding.

I am having a problem restoring my system to an earlier point.

I keep getting the following error message for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM*2\restore\rstrui.exe

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I looking for advice to fix this problem, hopefully.

P.S. This PS/2 keyboard that I am typing this post is faulty, since it does show the 'digit'for

the number three. See "SYSTEM*2", above.

P.P.S See the attached screenshots following the last reboot.The 'Mdhook' files that have been created as indicated by Tiny Watcher, seem to be irrelevant, since my trial of Malware Defender has expired.

Attached Files:

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

If failing from the menus run it as a new task in Taskmanager - %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

In Windows XP at least you can manually copy the system restore point files over their current counterparts. Then reboot normally. I don't remember the exact directories offhand, but you can google it and easily do it from Safe Mode - I had to do it from Windows XP Recovery Console.

In the future, give ERUNT a try in place of System Restore (if on XP). Personally I use Macrium Reflect Free or other full imaging softwares to backup my system partition on a regular basis, and recently I've started using Rollback Rx.

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks guys! for your assistance... I will try your suggestions.

It is not too critical in XP, since I have FD-ISR, and I have three other snapshots to play around with for testing.

If this snapshot can't be resusitated, I will remove and create a new one.

P.S. Just logged in to post and saw that I had a PM...thanks again to you! :)

P.P.S See my post here > DefenseWall v3.03 is ready for your tests., TOCTTOU is not an issue now! > http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106444&st=45&start=45

I do love my testing! ;)

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Speak of the devil!.... ;)

So, might go with that, in the end. :D

Attached Files:

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I just rebooted into this snapshot, and the frozen mouse cursor problem that I had is no longer in evidence.

Apparently, the restore that I attempted at least 2 times yesterday did take,eventually, as evidenced by this screenshot. :)

It is late now, so I am off to bed.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.