Problem with Mustang’s PEBuilder

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Stephen_C, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen_C

Stephen_C Registered Member

I bought Mustang’s PEBuilder plugin but am unable successfully to boot from a DVD made using it.

I am running Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba X200 laptop with 4BG RAM. Vista SP1 WAIK is installed in the default location, as are TI2009 and the BartPE plugin. I have created the ISO and burned it to a DVD using ImgBurn.

When I boot from the DVD I can get only as far as the command prompt which runs the StartNet command. After that command runs it displays a prompt in the “system32” folder of X: drive and nothing further happens. If I close the command prompt window an “egg-timer” displays for a few seconds before the grey background screen blanks and the machine re-boots.

I have tried both with the option to run from RAM and the option to run from the DVD.

I should be grateful for any suggested solutions. (I have the Acronis rescue disk, which works – but would like the backup of a VistaPE disk with TI2009 on it.)

Stephen

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Sounds like it could be a network issue.

1. How long did you wait? Wpeinit can take up to a few minutes to complete. While it is running you will see a blinking cursor. When it finishes you will be back to a prompt that will allow you to type.

2. Try editing the startnet.cmd and putting rem in front of these two lines:
    wpeinit
    ipconfig
    This will stop network services from starting.

You may need to add a driver for your network adapter.

3. Stephen_C

It did indeed return to a prompt where I could type - but I had no idea what to type or do next and it did nothing further. I feel I am being obtuse, sorry! Is there something I should type at the command prompt to which it returns after running wpeinit? (If I simply close the command prompt window everything hangs and the machine reboots.)

Stephen

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Did you remove the files called AddDrivers.txt and startnet.cmd. They need to be in the same folder as MustangPEBuilder.exe when you run it.

5. Stephen_C

No, not removed: both files are in the same folder as the executable and that folder is in the root folder.

In effect, I get no GUI (save for the grey background) and no indication of how I might run a file manager or, indeed, TI2009.

Am rather at a loss and feel a little stupid - even though I have followed the (simple) instructions to the letter.

Stephen

6. mustang

mustang Developer

Open startnet.cmd using Notepad. True Image should auto start with the line:

"x:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\StartTrueImage.exe"

All the echo lines should print out in the command prompt. They tell you what to enter for each program.

Closing the command prompt window is Microsoft's way of exiting WinPE with a reboot.

Boot into MustangPE and enter Notepad. Open X:\windows\System32\startnet.cmd. What do you see? Is it the same as startnet.cmd in the MUstangPEBuilder folder. It sounds like in your case it is not the same.

7. Stephen_C

Thanks for the continued assistance. Will check tomorrow and report back. I can see the startnet.cmd file in the MustangPEBuilder folder is as it should be but need to check when I boot from the DVD.

8. Stephen_C

Your diagnosis is correct. The startnet.cmd file contains a single line - wpeinit.

I wondered if it might be associated with the fact that I had WinBuilder on the machine so deleted the WinBuilder folder. Building the ISO and booting with the DVD both took longer and I rather hoped the issue was solved - but, sadly, the end result was the same.

I'm definitely not getting the correct startnet.cmd in the ISO.

Stephen

9. mustang

mustang Developer

Startnet.cmd is supposed to be copied into the build and overwrite the existing startnet.cmd. We need to figure out why this is being blocked. Try these steps:

1. Right click MustangPEBuilder.exe and choose "Run As Administrator". (The program has been given administrative right, so it shouldn't make any difference. If it does, then maybe the program doesn't get full administrative rights.)

2. Turn off UAC and try again.

When the program finishes you see a message box telling you where the ISO will be found. Does the path shown match exactly to the path where MustangPEBuilder was run from? What is that exact path on your system?

10. Stephen_C

Thanks for the further suggestions.

I had already tried that and it made no difference.

I have just tried generating the ISO with UAC turned off and that, too, made no difference.

Yes - everything matches. Here is a cut and paste of the message box.

---------------------------
    ISO Created at:
    C:\MustangPEBuilder_H2009\ISO\winpe_x86.iso
    OK

Stephen

11. mustang

mustang Developer

I give up.

What happens when you enter TI or A43 at the command prompt?

12. Stephen_C

The commands are not recognised (maybe because I'm still in system32 and the path is not set?).

I understand it's frustratingly difficult for you to diagnose the problem and appreciate your efforts. I'm just disappointed I simply can't get the plugin to work as it should.

Stephen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.