Problem with mapped drives becoming unavailable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jpelton, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpelton

jpelton Registered Member

I've recently purchased True Image, and am running build 826 on a Windows XP Pro machine. The imaging (creation/restore, etc) is working fine, I really like the interface and have done a number of successfull restores. All have been done wth locally attached storage (USB drives, dvds, etc). For imaging, this is a great product.

My problem is not so much with the software but with what has happened to my Windows drive mappings. Now, bear with me because what I'm doing to map a drive might seem silly - perhaps there is a better way to do it. My PCs are networked notebooks, using Microsoft networking and ethernet. However, I typically use these notebooks to do development of customer databases (Access MDBs with front- and back-ends, front-end on the "C" drive and back-end on a mapped network drive). Since I do most of my development at home or on the road (disconnected from the customer's network) I typically recreate my customer's drive mappings and network folder structure on the notebook's local drives, and "trick" the machine into thinking those folders are connected via a drive letter, even when disconnected from any network. So what I do is create a folder on my "C" drive with the same structure as the customer's mapped network drive, then use Windows File and Print Sharing to share these folders. I then disconnect from any network, open Windows Explorer, click "map network drive", and locate my local machine in network neighborhood. Navigating to my local machine, I see the folders I have just created are availabe and I can map a drive letter to them (i.e. i can map an "N" drive to "\\notebook\ClientFiles\any folder\". Like I said, maybe it's not the best way to get there, but it works for me...

...or at least it used to until I installed True image. Now, the drive letters still appear, but if I click on them or try to reference them in any manner I get a Windows message "An error occured when connecting N: to \\notebook\clientfiles\any folder. Microsoft Windows Network - the network location cannot be reached. The connection has not been restored." If I uninstal True Image, I'm back to being able to browse and access these "mapped drives".

I've tried adding the registry entry for IRPStackSize, all the way up to 50, and that did not help. Can anyone provide any guidance, even alternatives as to how to create "mappings" to drive letters in a different manner (one that does not involve partitioning the drive, if possible).

Thanks in advance.

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi jpelton - I can not help you with the error you get, but I have to ask: Have you ever tried this:
    Code:
    C:> help subst

3. jpelton

jpelton Registered Member

That'll work - thank you! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.