Problem with Look 'n' Stop and AVG downloader

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by zoril, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi:)

I have found that when I attempt to download virus definitions that LNS seems to have a question mark against AVG. I authorize but Each time I download from AVG the same message appears, so I end up with a long line of ? accepted which will fill up the application filter fast.

Is there any way to configure LNS to stop doing this and accept the authorize - not keep asking for authorization every AVG download:-

Please see attached illustration

Howard

Attached Files:

2. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Further to the above post, here is another illustration of the result. There are more ? then illustrated..
    Any help appreciated. Please bear in mind my computer knowledge is limited...

Howard

Attached Files:

3. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello Zoril,

Had the same problem with AntiVir,and the only way I could stop it was to uncheck APP Filtering in the APP tab of LnS.

Then reboot your computer,on reboot your Anti-virus should connect to download new signatures just let that happen,or start a manual download with APP Filtering off,once the update is complete
    put back the check mark on APP filtering.(reboot)

It should now stop asking you every-time it searches for downloads,and remove the unknowns? From APP filtering.

I had this problem with AVG many years ago and this fixed that problem,hard to say if it will work for you?But it only takes a few minutes to test it out.

Good Luck

4. Pete99

Pete99 Registered Member

(my post was not applicable, sorry)

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Many thanks for the reply Kush:)

I did try to do what you suggested with AVG but no joy. I may hold off buying the firewall to make sure that this is the only product affected. It is annoying to have to enable/disable each time I update. I am surprised that there is not a patch to resolve the issue, unless there is one that I don't know about? I sent an email to technical support earlier today. Hopefully they will get back to me with some suggestions...

Since installing LNS, I also find that I am getting an internet lag that I didn't have before with my other firewall - especially when using my mouse. Occasionally there seems to be a slight pause before I can type a letter...

Having said that I am not certain at all that LNS is reponsible for this because I tried disabling LNS, not loading it with windows, optimizing settings, cleaning the disk cache, history, defragging the hard drive, optinmizing settings and registry etc, but I still have that slight lag.

It may be purely coincidental that this problem has occured since installing the firewall. When I type a few words there can be a pause before the word appears on the screen.

My system is a PentiumD 3.0(dual processor) with 1 gig ram and Windows XP Pro. It is fast and my current BT internet connection speed is app 4/5 mb. I have a lot of applications - well over 100. I am also a little concerned if there is a restriction to the number of applications that can be filtered with the firewall, I may be close to the max! This is a worry!

While I like the firewall, in the last 24 hours I am having some reservations re purchasing. I would like to think that the "issues" I have raised can be addressed and hope that this post is read by LNS technical support...

Howard

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  6. Pete99

Pete99 Registered Member

In regard to the "internet lag", I noticed a similar thing when I upgraded to Firefox 1.5.0.2 and/or possibly the newest version of the Hit-a-Hint extension. It would be interesting to know if you use either of those.

I don't think that it's related to LnS (although of course it could be), but the problem is only noticeable to me when I'm using Firefox (typing or holding the down-arrow key).

7. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi Pete:)

I only use IE6

8. zoril

zoril Registered Member

UPDATE:-

The driver lnsfw1 3.0.0.5 seems to have resolved the AVG problem, or at the least is a most suitable workaround.

The original version 3.0.0.4 I renamed to lnsfw1.old.

I think that lnsfw1 3.0.0.5 is beta. If there are any unforseen problems with it, I can always revert back to the original one..

Howard

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Yes, the orignal issue is a known: when a starter application uses an special extension (.dat, .tmp...) instead of a standard one (.exe, .com...), Look 'n' Stop doesn't detect the parent name properly and displayed ?/Unknown instead.

Another issue was "Unknown" application is not reminded by Look 'n' Stop (case sensitive issue).
    The new driver fixes this second issue, the name is now "UNKNOWN", and Look 'n' Stop prompt only once.

Frederic

10. kkaasspp

kkaasspp Registered Member

I also encounted the problem,and i don not know why!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.