Problem with locked files in ESET smart security 4.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Liat, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liat

Liat Registered Member

Hello. This is the first time posting on this forum and I made an account to ask this question that have been troubleing me for quite some time now.

The situation is what follows:
    For a couple of months ago. I'm not entierly sure about the exact month/date but It was after the SP 1 for Windows 7. I discovered that apperently many of the files in the C:/Windows/system32 directory was/is unscanable for ESET Smart Security 4 aswell as Malwarebytes anti malware (and also Spybit S&D after I installed it just to check)

Theese file are in various locations in this folder.

-Important files like csrss.exe and taskhost.exe are locked (f.e Almost all files apart from 13 in "System32/drivers" can't be scanned.)

-UNimportant ones like Windowsanytimeupgrade and Stikynot.exe

Theese files are also hidden in the filebrowser when trying to upload them to Virustotal or any other site in Firefox

Good news:
    I have copied some of them to desktop to scan them there. All the ones i've tested have came out clean.

Super antispyware are able to scan theese files without any issues.

I don't have any suspicious out/ingoing connections

After this problem was discovered a failed windows update forced me to reinstall windows. During the instal (using the CD) I formated and deleted all of my partions. The problem persisted anyhow.

EDIT:

I read the "How to report issues thread" But unfortunatly I won't be at the computer having this issue in a couple of hours.
    The errorcode is [4] Can't open file, the file may be in use by another program or the operating system.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can someone help me out regarding this situation

Replys would be much appreciated. :)

//Liat

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling UAC make a difference?

3. Liat

Liat Registered Member

No unfortunatly not.
    I can also add that this problem is in Safe mode aswell. Atleast for Malwarebytes, because you can't scan specific ones with ESET(which is normal as far as i know)

I'm at the troublesome computer now fyi

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

5. Liat

Liat Registered Member

Acctaully. I do have the problem in safe mode aswell.
    The reason that I'm assuming it's the same in safe mode is that malwarebyte AM, which can't scan the files in Normal mode is unable to scan them i safe mode aswell.

This is what appears if trying to scan with ESET:
    (right click - scan file)

http://i54.tinypic.com/24whxuh.png
    Translation:
    ESET - Smart security - Shell extension error (i think it's the right term to use)
    Could not communicate with the kernel in ESET Smart security

The window appears on my laptop aswell when trying to do the same thing.

Side note:
    I tested to scan the same problematic files on a friends computer running an up to date legal verision of "ESET smart security 4". We both have x64 bit' operating systems but the difference is that he's runnig Vista. He couldn't scan those files either. I didn't get the time to do a "throughout" (safe mode etc.) test but the the things I did try was , csrss.exe and the "drivers" folder. Both reults came out the same on his PC as it does on mine.

Also, The other computers I've teste before his have all been 32-bit.

Sorry for the Long post.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.