Problem with links.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by habari42, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habari42

habari42 Registered Member

Hi. Has anyone a solution to my problem please.? For several weeks I have been unable to activate links on any forums and this is getting worse because I'm now finding it happening on other sites which were previously OK. I click on a link and all that happens is a "dong" sound and scrolling locks up. If I click on X close, the same page reappears and scrolling is freed but the link stays dead. I find it a major inconvenience and would welcome any suggestions. Cheers, Haba. o_O

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

A few questions if you will :)

What browser are you using?
    Do you have any popup blockers, or toolbars with popup blockers installed?
    Do you have any installed plugins?
    What real time monitors are you running on your system?

This will help us to help you

3. habari42

------
    Thanks for your response Capp.

1)Normally IE but I also have the same problem with AOL.
    2)Yes.
    3)No.
    4)None.(Not really sure what a real-time monitor is.!!)
    I do hope you can help - it is a real bind.!! I've just uninstalled AOL 8 and installed AOL 9 in an effort to get rid of it but it hasn't made any difference. Cheers, Haba. o_O

4. habari42

Hi Capp. Since my posting of Sept 3, things have changed from the description in my original posting of Aug 31. I have now replaced my AOL8 with AOL9, hoping I might leave the problem behind.!! However, it is still with me, although in a different form. What happens now when I click on a link is that a smaller version (about one-third size) of the page comes-up on top,which is transparent below the address bar so that most of the original page can still be seen. Scrolling still works (unlike before) and clicking on X close removes the top page but there is no sign of the link. "Navigation" links work OK. One strange thing is that when I was doing some checking yesterday, ALL the links on the forum at aol.invisionzone.com worked OK but, later in the day,they produced the above result again.!! Hoping you find the time to give my problem some further thought soon. Cheers, Haba. :(

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey, Sorry I haven't gotten back with you about this.:)

Is there any way you can do a screenshot of what is happening? This would greatly help me figure out the problem.

Try this, just to see what happens...Before you click on a link, hold down the 'ctrl' key on your keyboard and then click the link. See if that helps.

If it doesn't, please try to post a screenshot so we can see what is going on :)

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Here is something else to try:

Hyperlinks not working

Hyperlinks will not work if a computer system does not know which Web browser is set as the default, which happens if the settings that control this choice are damaged or incorrect. The easiest way to fix the problem is to allow your preferred Web browser to rewrite the appropriate settings by resetting your default browser.

"Open in new Window" doesn't work

Sometimes resetting our default browser is not enough to get hyperlinks to work again, especially if they trigger a new window. Open in new window is dependent upon several system files, therefore you should ensure they are correctly registered.

Click on Start, then Run, then run the following commands. After you run each command, a small window should appear stating that the command was successful.

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll (if that doesn't work, try shdoc401.dll)
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Some programs that control pop-up windows and advertisements can stop hyperlinks from working. Also, some third-party add-ins are known to cause a problem and must be uninstalled when misbehaving in this way. Disable all third-party Internet related programs (not your firewall) and test.

7. habari42

Hi Capp. No luck with the ctrl key, I'm sorry to say. I'm OK with screenshots in email but it's several years since I got one on to a forum and I can't remember the drill.!! If it's not a lot of trouble,could you provide some guidance please.? Very short of time at the moment but hope to try your other suggestions tomorrow. Thanks again. Haba.

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

When you click "Reply" Scroll down below the text box and look for this:

Attached Files:

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I got your email Habari but it said your email service rejected my reply so I'll do it this way...

Just for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried this in an alternate browser, such as Firefox or Opera? If you can, that will narrow it down to being a problem with IE. If not, then it may be a deeper problem.

Also try this. While IE is open, go to Tools | Internet Options | Security Tab | click the "Internet" icon and see what level of security it is set at.
    Then click the Privacy tab and see what it is set to as well.

Let me know -k-
    Cheers,

10. habari42

More thanks Capp. Sorry you were rejected - forgot to take off a temporary block.!! Levels of security and privacy are both Medium. Now for the good news - installed Firefox and problem with links immediately disappeared.!! IE is obviously the culprit and I'm tempted to simply ditch it in favour of Firefox. However, I never like giving up on a problem if there is any hope of a solution.!! Apart from a reinstall, have you any suggestions please.? Cheers, Haba. :D

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Glad to know the problem is isolated to IE. Here is something to try:
    Go back into Internet Options, Click the "Advanced" tab. Click the "Restore Defaults" button at the bottom.
    If you have any toolbars with IE, try uninstalling them and see if the problem goes away.

This is quite strange and hard to troubleshoot without being able to reproduce the problem. :)

12. habari42

No luck with "Restore Defaults" I presume you mean additional toolbars,which I haven't got.
    Haba. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.