Problem with IE7 memory usage

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have Vista Premium with IE7. I also have IE7 set where links are opened in a new window. The problem is that this adds more and more memory IE7 uses every time a new window is opened. When I close a window the memory is not reduced at all. I usually have to eventually just close all the windows and start again after a little while of surfing. Sometimes I even have to kill IE7 as even after all the windows are closed IE7 is still running, using lots of memory. I have disabled add-ons in IE7 but this does not seem to help. Anything I need to check or tweak?

thanks

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi acr1965

Your topic is very timely and someone will surely weight in with some good info for you, but your concern is something i just run into myself with a client's PC running XPSP2 with IE7, it bogged down over time the entire browser and run up memory useage.

I dunno yet myself but when i Googled IE7 issues last night i found a TON of nothing but mostly complaints regarding it.

I eventually uninstalled my clients IE7 on XP and it reverts back to 6, then i downloaded the IE7 installer and proceeded to reinstall IE7 again, thereafter it regained performance if there is such a thing with IE7.

I would thought IE7 should run better even on Vista, but your topic now opens some serious debate to me as to it's dependability plus those many topics that i found complaints about on Google raises more concerns for me.

Even though i can't offer anything tangible for you to examine for, others here with VISTA surely can and will.

I found another issue after a IE7 update from $M that the HOME page set by the user kept redirecting to something like go microsoft etc. and then runonce msn i think, anyway i googled and found a "FIX" for that issue so the user can keep their HOME page opening in IE7 as intended to begin with.

Why Microsoft didn't do a better job at IE7 is another question entirely.

I hope your issue will be answered and resolved soon here. I seen with my own eyes some real concerns with IE7 on XP although many users seem to like it, so be it i guess if it works for them.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Why not set IE7 to open links in a new tab?
    That page only appears after the first run when you install IE7. It doesn't reappear on subsequent runs.
    This page provides settings for search providers, the phishing filter, etc.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dont forget service pack 1 solves some issues with IE7 and it will be out in a few weeks.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.