problem with home network

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by loli22, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

i just setup a home network, windows 7 for the laptop and xp64 for workstation, i downloaded the trial lns with the rule "File sharing on a local network" file from lns website, import it into the firewall, everything is perfect until i decided to modified the three rules imported, because there're other machines within the home network and i dont want them to access my machines, so i had to edit the rules and give the exact IP adress for the source and for the destination ( both machines got static adress) and bingo, no more sharing, when i disable the firewall or use the imported rules at their original form the sharing's back.

any help guys

PS: i attached the log file.

Attached Files:

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Probably you entered the IP address of the machines to be allowed on left side of the dialog box.
    They have to be entered on the right side (Destination PC>>Net, Source Net>>PC).

FYI: the raw packet content is not useful for this kind of case. It's better to include the standard log file, or eventually the raw log file (log files contain decoded packets, and rules that have detected packets like in the log tab; the raw packet content doesn't give rules, and it requires a manual complicated decoding).

Regards,

Frederic

3. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

my laptop got 192.168.1.3

workstation got 192.168.1.2

i configured the laptop this way:

left side: "Equals my @"
    right side: "Equals" 192.168.1.2

for the workstation:

left side: "Equals my @"
    right side: "Equals" 192.168.1.3

i then tried to invert left and right side but still the same (nothing)

for the log file (sorry for being sarcastic) lns reminded me "graphic equalizer" in windows media player 12, i found only the raw packet file.

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

There is an "Log file" checkbox in the option tab.
    This will create a copy of what is displayed into the Log tab to a file.

Maybe you need to allow some broadcast packets (to 192.168.255.255), for the UDP sharing rule.
    Packets to this IP address are allowed with the default sharing rules, but are no longer allowed if you force the IP address to be 192.168.1.2 or 3.

The content of the log should help to verify if the problem is there.

Regards,

Frederic

5. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

here's the layout

laptop: windows 7 x32
    lns: 2.07 beta1
    IP: 192.168.1.3

workstation: xp64
    lns: 2.06p4
    IP: 192.168.1.2

the situation is when i start both machines, i need first to disable lns so they can see each others, basically i cant see the laptop's icon in the workstation's "my network places" and vice versa, and after they see each other, i fire up lns and then:
    i can connect from workstation to laptop but not from laptop to workstation.

i attached the log files and the rules i'm using wich are the same for both machines.

big thx m8

PS: please change 002.log to 002.rls

Attached Files:

6. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

In my opinion,on your workstation,you should add a rule to allow the packets whose port is 137-139 UDP.From your log file,I find your NetBios is open.But you block the packets of NetBios service.
    On your laptop,you may allow the packets whose port is 1900 and 67-68 UDP.They are both the ports which your services want to use.

7. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

137-139 UDP are already open

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

From workstation.log, the problem seems to be the local port range for the rule "TCP: Share 1".
    The range is 1024-5000, and it should be 49152-65535.

So just edit this rule to edit the ports.
    You can do it on both machines.

Regards,

Frederic

9. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

i gave up, i do motion graphic for living, not networking

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Since it was working with the unmodified sharing rules (if I've properly understood), why not just using this configuration ?

Of course, if you want to allow some computers for some protocols and exclude other computers, you have to do networking, especially with a packet filter.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.