Problem with Flash CLSID

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Prince_Serendip, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Javacool!

I have discovered a problem with the CLSID for Flash/Macromedia Flashplayer 6.0.79.0. I put it on in the SpywareBlaster Tools but it is still working anyway. I tried rebooting but it made no difference.

I am running on Win98se with SpywareBlaster fully updated. I also run Opera 7.23 with Proxomitron 4.5 set to the default setting.

While nosing around at LiquidWeb, I clicked a link and got the new version of Flash, without giving my permission. (Rather rude of them don't you think?) I just wanted to know what version of Flash they were using. I had right-clicked the spinning logo and then clicked on "About Macromedia Flashplayer." This took me to a different page which announced that Flash had been successfully installed!

(Newbies please note: this is often how you get spywares and other unwanted apps on your PC by just clicking a link.) ;)

For further info please refer to this thread in General Topics Question: Will the new server be friendly to Opera? (The answer is: Yes, it will.)

Larry :)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Larry,

Happy Holidays! :)

We have tested this and the CLSID for Flash did not change with the v7 update that came out a little while ago. (That's the latest by the way, not 6,0,79,0) I myself just moved from the last v6 (6,0,79,0) to the new 7,0,19,0 version a few days ago, and the Flash Killer check box does still kill that ActiveX control.

I'm wondering if Flash in Opera works differently somehow. For IE users, the standard Flash ActiveX control remains the same through all the updates and is killed by setting its kill-bit.

3. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi Mike!

I forgot that SpywareBlaster works ideally with IE (I consider IE to be the world's slowest browser.) Opera is a different story I presume.

I will try it with IE and see what happens. Thanks for the info. Merry Christmas to you and your family! (I see you got your avatar fixed up again. Looks nice!)

Best wishes from Larry :)

4. Prince_Serendip

:D Here I am in IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (sounds like a scream of anguish) LOL

The CLSID (Class Identifier) works just fine here.

I guess I can see if reconfiguring Proxomitron will help with Opera? As a web filter, surely it could filter Flash?? ;) I will see what I can find.

Thanks for your help! :)

5. Prince_Serendip

:) Update: Merry Christmas morning here!

Yes, Proxomitron has a Flash Killer and it works well with Opera. It is in the HTML Webpage Filters. It also manages cookies with lots of options under HTTP Header Filters.

I like it when my programs can work together in synergistic unity. SpywareBlaster covers stuff that Opera and Proxomitron don't and vice versa. Both SpywareBlaster and Proxomitron are excellent applications. I recommend them both, especially for those of us who are using browsers other than IE.

Best regards from Larry :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.