Problem with excite.com mail

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Bill99, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill99

Bill99 Registered Member

I've had Spybot, Ad-aware & Norton Anti-virus for some time and it's freshly run today. Today I downloaded and installed SpywareBlaster. I have webmail at exicte.com. With SpywareBlaster items checked, when I enter Name & Pswd into email page, nothing happens (page just refreshes). Uncheck all items in SpywareBlaster and it works OK. Also, with items checked, if I set Internet Options to "accept all cookies" it works OK.

I looked around in the registry and at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ P3P \ History
    there's a bunch of items that look like spyware sites. Is this where SpywareBlaster keeps it's list?

One of the folders in the at this place in the registry is excite.com which may giving me the problem with email. If this is the problem, how did it get there? And the 64 dollar question, can I DELETE that folder and not screw-up my registry?

Thanks

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Bill99,

There's no need to go into the registry and manually remove any entries from there... SpywareBlaster can be used to remove the specific protection it set which is blocking your Excite access.

SpywareBlaster does add cookie restrictions into that section of the registry, but that section does not belong to SpywareBlaster specifically. That is simply where IE6 stores the P3P cookie settings it uses to manage all its cookie controls. If you look at the thread linked below, you'll notice you can scroll down the list of blocked items in SpywareBlaster, and in the section where cookies are listed, you can uncheck the Excite entry then hit the "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items" button. After that, Excite should work again unless there's another entry related to Excite.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18547

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  3. Bill99

Bill99 Registered Member

LowWaterMark

Thanks, that took care of it. And it's no longer in the registry. I called myself doing a search before posting but obviously unsuccessfully.

Will this need to be unchecked each time I do an update to SpywareBlaster?

Thanks again

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes you will. Unfortunately there is no exclude function in SpywareBlaster at this point, so each time you get an update and tell SB to select all the unchecked items and protect them, this Excite entry will be among those. But, since you know about it, you can quickly scroll down to it and uncheck it before hitting the Protect... button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.