Problem with Document Protection

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by prodarte, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodarte

prodarte Registered Member

On about 5 of my 18 workstations, document protection is causing machines to black out and reboot. No error messages in event log. It is unfortunate that when you disable this in version 4, it re-enables on reboot. I guess I will be taking all my machines back to version 3.

We have several custom tool bars that run macros in excel and word version 2007, and I believe that it is the document protection that is colliding with these that is making the machines unstable. Also, I was able to get it to crash occasionally when embedded worksheet objects added to a word document.

If there is a fix for something of this nature I would love to know what it is, also would like to see the ability to keep the document protection off permanently for version 4

Paul
    :(

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

This is already possible. Simply open the Advanced setup tree , go to "Document protection"

In the right section there is a checkmark placed in a box telling you to have document protection enabled . If you deselect this box right here (and reboot) , the protection of documents will no longer load in your v4.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I highly doubt that document protection could cause a restart due to a problem. What makes you think document protection is the culprit?

4. prodarte

prodarte Registered Member

I did this and after a reboot the protection turned itself back on. I am running a version from July, just downloaded the latest editions for 3 and 4.

I don't have any concrete proof, but yesterday one of the partner's workstation rebooted about 5 times in less that 15 minutes, heavy word document with embedded workbook, and excel contains several macros at startup in a personal macro workbook, with QAT links in the toolbar for these macros. The moment I turned off document protection it became stable and was able to continue on.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've never heard of DMON crashing the system. The best would be to configure Windows to create complete memory dumps, reproduce the problem and, when BSOD occurs, convey the memory dump to ESET for perusal.

6. miconis

miconis Registered Member

We open hundreds of Word documents every day on each machine. The virus scan REALLY slows it down as it scans when creating the new file from the DOT file, then scans the newly created DOC file. Take 5-10 seconds compared to less than 1 second when doing it using NOD32 v3.0

The fact that you can disable Document Protection is great, but it then yells at you until you reboot that you are not fully secured. Then upon reboot, as others have pointed out, the protection is back on.

Why is this additional scanning even needed? Doesn't the real time engine catch this stuff anyways? If you add up 5-10 seconds of slowdown per file, and our average user creates over 100 new documents a day, it is a BIG time waster.

There needs to be a way to disable it completely and not be yelled at. I don't understand having "Advanced Mode" where you can highly customize the install, but then have to be notified about why your changes are not secure. It goes against the entire concept if you ask me. I should be able to protect my PC the way I needed it to be. Now I have to downgrade to 3.0, as it works just fine and I was nice and secure before 4.0.

Fix this ESET!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.