Problem with Disabling AMON

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by BigT, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigT

BigT Registered Member

If I disable AMON and leave it disabled while restarting my PC, NOD32 (version 2.50.25) takes a long time to load on the subsequent startup of Windows XP. The splash screen just sits there on the screen with the build number area left blank for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Eventually it loads.

The following error is logged in the event viewer (My Computer -> Manage -> Event Viewer -> System):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7022
    Date: 8/6/2005
    Time: 11:02:29 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ***********
    Description:
    The NOD32 Kernel Service service hung on starting.

This is 100% reproducible on my system with the following steps:
    1. Uncheck “File system monitor (AMON) enabled.”
    2. Start -> Turn Off -> Restart to reboot PC.
    3. Log into windows.
    4. Watch the NOD32 splash screen hang.

I contacted ESET support, but we were unable to figure out the cause of this problem. So, I’m turning to this forum for help.

Mainly, I would like to know if this error happens on all computers and is a general bug in NOD32 or if it has something to do with a conflict on my system. However, this problem occurs on my system even after a fresh install (just Windows XP, OfficeXP, required drivers, and security updates). Can anyone successfully disable AMON and then not have it hang on reboot?

I did a search on these forums regarding this issue and found the following related threads (unfortunately, none of them have any solutions that I can descry). Yet, it seems like some other people notice this problem too:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=85590&highlight=7022
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=85276&highlight=7022
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=84754&highlight=7022
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=83102&highlight=7022

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Biggerbyte

Biggerbyte Guest

Same here.. I reported this with the demo some days ago and never got a response from anyone. I found another bug yesterday. If opening multiple files in Microsoft Word XP, anything opened past the first file will hang for a long period of time before opening. Another bug involves Internet Explorer in Windows XP where if you click on stop before a page fully loads IE will crash. This seems to only happen after first opening IE and trying to stop the home page from loading.

I gave up on 2.5 and went back to the old NOD32 and am running smooth again.

4. BigT

BigT Registered Member

OK, thank you for the two confirmations! :)

Is there anyone for whom this problem does not occur after disabling AMON and then rebooting?

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I can also confirm this.
    I usually disable any resident scanner when I install new (trusted) software so it doesn't mess up the install process, and then I click a button to restart.

After reboot the splashscreen hangs, and usually all http-programs in IMON will be deleted while it hangs.
    This simply cannot be a 'user error' or 'lack of microsoft XP updates' - It happens every time.
    So it must be a bug in NOD.

This also happens when disabling IMON.

6. linney

linney Registered Member

I have reported this bug to Eset several months ago, they are aware of the problem.

A workaround is to re-enable Amon before rebooting.

7. BigT

BigT Registered Member

Well, ESET's technical support didn't seem to be aware of this problem when I reported it a week ago. The guy who was replying to my emails claimed that he could not reproduce the error and that "no one else reports any issues when rebooting."

After that, and some standard troubleshooting steps, they pretty much stopped responding to my emails.

8. Biggerbyte

Biggerbyte Guest

I also reported it and got no response, just like in these forums. It was very discouraging that no one has jumped on the complaints about this. I have not purchased NOD32 yet because there are too many serious or just downright annoying bugs to deal with at this time. And now the fact that ESET is thumbing thier nose at us may prevent me from ever doing so.

Thier claim that this issue can not be duplicated would have to be a lie. Fact is that it has to happen to anyone who tries it and it will slip up on everyone at some point. I forget to turn AMON back on sometimes before a reboot and the problem will happen every single time. Without a doubt it is a problem with NOD32. So to say they can not duplicate the issue is dodgy at best.

Remeber the issue with NOD32 trying to scan a zip drive even when you have "local" checked and not network? When you do that nothing but the local hard drives are supposed to be scanned. Yet, NOD32 still tries to scan that zip drive upon starting the software and gives an error with the MBR sector on 2 Physical disk. That problem has been around for a long, long time.

9. BigT

BigT Registered Member

Why do people not seem to care about this apparent bug in NOD32? o_O
    I've never before used an AV program that encountered problems while being disabled.

Do people not disable AV scanners while installing software anymore?

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I haven't done so in over 3 years, and I install quite a bit of software... But yes, if there is an issue, it ought to be addressed.

Cheers :D

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD seems to cause no conflicts while installing software. One of the few antivirus programs I know of that behaves this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.