Problem with Command Prompt (cmd.exe)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ruinebabine, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

RS or let the expert's check your log. *Scratching head .... unsure the point of running either FDISR or SP then?

S

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Hello ruinebabine.

Open regedit and check if DisableCMD is present in,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Try doing a repair install of Windows prior to posting an hjt log at a malware removal forum.

thanatos

3. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I would need an acurated acronym dictionary now, :eek: , "RS"?

You are sure right about simply using an FDISR or ShadowProtect to put my system back at work. It's just that I would like to know why & how this problem did happend first. Happend once on this pc, could probably happend again!

I will try to post an HJT log, but I'm not sure if it will give more help as you all here have already done a damn good detective work...:thumb:

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

RunScanner. Forget understanding, it's Window's. Take the advice offered by Thanatos .... he's :D usually here earlier!

S

5. ruinebabine

No, not in those keys.

But I can see them at:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
    and
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1275210071-789336058-854245398-1003\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

and their value there are set as:
    "disablecmd"=dword:00000000 (0)

I will have to read about it first, before to give it a try. As I said in another post, I could also simply use FDISR snapshot or ShadowProtect backup. But I never tried a Windows repair and I'm little curious to see how it work in real life :)

Thanks for the suggestion, anyways, thanatos_theos.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Did you personally remove IE or was it removed by another program?

7. ruinebabine

While we are at it, could someone also tell me why "SFC.exe /scannow" seems not being able to see/use my genuine original XP sp2 Pro CD-ROM?

SFC.png

Does it first need DVD drive's Autoplay to be activated?

I also have the I386 folder tucked away on another partition (path is already set in the registry) for this kind of use, so is it possible to direct SFC to this directory instead of using the DVD-ROM drive?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. ruinebabine

Hi JRViejo,

It was removed with XPlite Pro, many moons ago.

9. ruinebabine

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ruinebabine, thanks for the info. I recall reading somewhere (can't find it now) that cmd.exe was removed through IE via a virus (Orkut?) so I thought better to ask.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ruinebabine, took a look at your XPlite Pro and it seems, from what I read, to go deep into Windows. One of your SFC prompts stated "Files that are required by Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions" and I'm wondering whether XPlite Pro has either re-written those files or replaced them with its own versions.

There was a XPlite Professional 1.9.0334 05-SEPTEMBER-2008 update and you started having problems soon thereafter. Coincidence?

12. ruinebabine

Hey, thanks for this interesting info, JRViejo.

I was not even aware of this available XPlite update, and the version I am using right now is v1.9.0316. This new build release seems focusing on xp sp3 mainly, but one of its release notes items is labeled:
    "Improvement to source file path detection". Don't know if it could help in my situation, but anyways I downloaded it and will install next to see what gives.

And I am now at researching on XPlite and X-Setup vs my here problems, hoping a possible solution to be sitting somewhere in their implemented tweaks (even if I did not change their settings lastly). Will see what I can find there...

Thanks again:thumb:

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting Topic. Hope this finally gets resolved for you.

I just wanted to step in after reading this because i tried downloading DAF from several locations including our normal share/freeware servers sites and about 10 times got a PAGE NOT FOUND screen everytime. I wonder if the author's site is down right now?

Anyway freeware files has it available in theirs if you D/L from it's server since the author's link appears dead for me.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=16582

Anyone care to verify this?

Thanks and Best of Luck that this issue gets resolved for you.

EASTER

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

EASTER, the DjLizard.net site resolves fine for me and so is the Dial-a-fix 0.60.0.24 Beta zip download link to the author's site at freewarefiles.com. Thought you should know.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks kindly.

Then i need to check my firewall rules again or maybe my zone is prevented for some reason because i can download anything from any site, but even MajorGeeks author's link won't display for me today. Ugh. Just one of those days i guess. djlizard.net simply is not resolving for me.

Regards EASTER

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I can't access Malwarebytes Forum or website atm either?

17. ruinebabine

Hi Easter,

As JRViejo, no problem to reich DjLizard.net from here now. I don't know if it was same earlyer today, cause I already had this daf version in a back folder so I did not have to go download it then.
    Maybe can you connect with their WIKI? I think it's actually the right place where we can download it...

EDIT: I see that the download link there is http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip

Could it be the particular port they use that is causing the problem with your firewall? Just a wild guess...

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Franklin, are u saying that the Malwarebytes Forum does not resolve for you ... or asking EASTER?
    Their site and forum comes up for me in both FF 3.0.1 and IE6.

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I could access the site earlier this am but can't get there atm?
    MB'S Forum.JPG

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's exactly the same NO PAGE FOUND display i get when i tried to access the DjLizard.net site as well as nearly a whole page of download servers like MajorGeeks, Softpedia, etc. and others.

Only on freewarebites site was i able to download Dial-A-Fix because it was also on one of their own servers.

Like i hinted about, this must be a regional issue ATM, probably Monday or sometime next week it will resolve again.

As for http://malwarebytes.org/, it loads fine here too ATM.

EASTER

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.