Problem with cloned disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by monaco87, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monaco87

monaco87 Registered Member

I have a two disk set up, both disks are on the same IDE controller, primary and secondary. Both have seperate Windows intsallations and I chose which one to boot from the system BIOS which provieds a boot menu. This has worked fine for quite a while. My secondary disk is running out of space so I connected a new bigger disk instead of the current primary. I then booted the old secondary and cloned it to the new primary.

Now when I install that new disk as a secondary in place of the old disk it will not boot. When I select the new secondary from the BIOS boot menu I get messages to say that Windows could not find various file, e.g. ntkrnl, ntfs.sys etc. If I remove the primary disk so that the new secondary is the only disk it boots fine. I'm using Cable Select to define Master/Secondary.

If I re-install my old secndary in the same two disk configuration it boots fine.

If True Image "clones" the disk, how come the original boots but the copy doesn't?

2. zp18

zp18 Registered Member

Not hijacking your thread but with similiar issue using ATI V10.0

Compaq laptop, 100 gb drive with Vista Basic

Cloned to a usb 250 gb drive without problems

replaced 100 w/250 and error is: "cannot find file \windows\systen32\winload.exe, file is missing or corrupt.

2 hours of disk diagnostics shows no errors.

Back on the 100 GB drive now.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

That's not 100% reliable. Use the jumpers.

Probably you have changed the old secondary-hdd to primary and connect the new hdd as a secondary. Then clone it using the Ti-rescue-CD.

But the first thing you can clarify is whether in the bios the correct boot order is given.
    Enter bios and check it.
    The next you have to check is which hdd is now the 'active' one.
    Set the right hdd to active (e.g. with FDISK).
    Then try once more...

4. monaco87

Cable Select has worked fine for years and is now the recommended way to set drives.

Defintely not, the drives are set up correctly. I DID clone it using the resue CD. The BIOS has the correct BOOT order. Even if the BIOS boot order was wrong it would then boot off the other disk.

And the partition HAS to be active otherwise it wouldn't boot to the point of reporting the missing files.

5. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

6. monaco87

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The main probable reason for the encountered issue is related to the fact that the boot.ini file on the cloned hard drive has been changed. It can happen if you boot the second system with the first one been unplugged, or if you connect it to the system as a master hard drive.

In any case, please use BOOTCFG program from an XP Recovery Console command to fix the problem. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. Additional information is available here.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.