Problem with backup b4 deleting Norton AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bardinja, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bardinja

bardinja Registered Member

Hello,

I bought NOD32 but first I need to completely delete Norton AV 2003.

I have already run the Norton Uninstall.

In the past couple weeks I have also been saving all my data files to CDs.

According to what I have read I still have to:

Reinstall Windows Script 5.6.

Uninstall the Norton WMI update program (I just saw this on my Programs List).

I probably should also run the Norton Rnav2003.exe removal utility.

I would like to backup the registry first before doing these things but I have never backed up the registry before and it turns out I had to install the backup utility from a CD. I did this but:

I tried to run Microsoft's backup utility but it did not work. I got the error described on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828481/en-us.

"Error 800423f4 appears in the backup log file...."

That page says Microsoft has a "hotfix" for this.

Does anybody know anything about this hotfix, how reliable it is?

Is there any other way to backup the registry?

I tried to contact Microsoft but:

1. When I go to http://www.support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3219&gprid=37013 and click on Email or Chat neither web page pulls up correctly.

2. I don't have a phone here (my roommate has it) so I called Microsoft on a nearby pay phone. Connection was so lousy I could hardly hear the guy. Had to hang up before I could get any help.

I want to hurry up and get this done so do you think it would be OK to skip backing up the registry?

Is there another way to backup the registry?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello ! ;)

Nowhere you say what is your Operating system but since you mention Microsoft's back up utility , you should have Windows XP .

No , you don't really need to back-up the registry before doing these things . You can create a restore point if you use Windows XP because Windows XP has this great function , System Restore . System Restore back-ups the registry itself for sure :)

Do the following before installing NOD32 :

1. Open Start->Programs->System Tools->System Restore
    Choose the option to create a new restore point , write it a name (short name) and press OK .

2. Open Start->Settings->Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs
    and remove Norton antivirus . Follow the instructions

Reboot

Again in Add/Remove programs , search if you have any entrie for Symantec or any Norton related thing and remove(uninstall) it . Reboot after that.

Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and find LiveUpdate . Uninstall it and restart .

Goto C:\Program files and manually delete all files and folders with names Symantec , Norton and LiveUpdate

3. Now , go online and run Norton's removal tool . The one described will remove even your 2003 version
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

4. Next , some people suggest you reinstall Microsoft Script but if I were you I wouldn't do it now . You can do it just if you have problems

5. Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and make sure you have no other security softwares with real time protection installed . If you have such , uninstall them

6. More ofter old Norton version corrupts Windows's Winsock
    I would sugges you repiar it before you install NOD .
    Download and run WinsockXPfix
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Follow the instructions and reboot

7. Run Microsoft's Disk-Clean up
    Goto Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disc Cleanup
    choose your hard drives and check all the options (temp files , temp internet files , old files ... ) and press OK

Install NOD32
    1) Download a fresh copy of NOD32 for your correct operating system
    Full paid version

2) Install NOD32 from the file you just downloaded in step 1
    Use Typical settings . Restart after you are ready

3) Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nodkrn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and >>> Update NOD32

4) Configure NOD as shown here
    in order to have maximum protection

5) Run full scan to ensure your computer is really clean of all the nasties
    Open Control Center -> NOD32 -> Run NOD32 -> Scan&Clean

Enjoy :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.