Problem With AVG Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mismis29, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Hi :)

I downloaded the free version of AVG Anti-Virus and attempted to install it. I received a message stating that a file called 'SHARED.DLL' was missing and the installation ended. It seems that this is a key file that is missing from my computer since I have received this message in past when trying to install a couple of other programs.

I am wondering what this file is, how it could have been deleted and if there is a way to get it back? As for my antivirus, I am having to settle for Avast!(which I'm not too happy about since I'm really not sure how good it is). I've tried NAV, which isn't too bad, but it's such a resource hog.

If you have any suggestions, I would be eternally greatful :D

Thanx a bunch.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Don't worry,avast! is far better than AVG6.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

mismis29, have you ever tried a registrycleaner like RegSupreme, to clean/repair your registry, it might help.It's yours for 30 days(or is it 14), just uninstall it then. :)

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Which Windows do you use? Anyway if you miss some files just install windows over current ones. Errors and missing files will be fixed,all settings and user files remain.

6. mismis29

Thanx for all your suggestions :)

Rejzor- I'm using Windows Xp Pro. As for installing Windows again, I can't. When I received my computer (which is 'home-made'), I didn't receive ANY software/backup disks! Extremely frustrating seeing as I've had so many problems and those disks would have been extremely useful!! [If I was given the NAV disk for example, I wouldn't have to be trying out all kinds of different antivirus programs--I had to BEG them for a copy of Microsoft Office! :rolleyes: ]

Anyway, Thanx again.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok that could be a problem...

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AFIK, Shared.dll is not a file. It is a category of files, known as "shared dll's". If I am correct about this, then you need a particular dll that belongs in the shared dll category but, for some reason, is missing or misplaced on your computer.

This can happen if you make a mistake when uninstalling a program.

I suggest that you try again to install AVG & write down every single word of any error message that appears. Then you should post that error message at a forum that specializes in computer technical problems such as...
    http://forums.techguy.org/
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/

Please keep us posted on this. Someone else might come by with the same problem.

10. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D

I suggest you download and run Tuneup Utilities 2004 (This is shareware) (good for one month, before required to purchase). This program identifies quiet a few problems, one of which is missing files required to run applications. The nice things about this program is that it also corrects the problems it finds.

Thanks
    Wildman

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good suggestion. If you decide to buy, there's a $10 discount by checking HERE.

It expires 9/8

12. mismis29

Hi guys :)

I am using the trial of TuneUp Utilities, and I must say, it's a nice little program. When it comes to the registry, I am always apprehensive about deleting anything that any registry tool finds. I have read, as I have always known, that one must be careful when messing with the registry. Although I can back up anything that I remove witht these utitlies, I am still scared to do so.

Perhaps I'm too much of a novice to be messing around with this stuff, but I know that it can help system performance somewhat if junk is removed. Call me paranoid ;) LOL

13. Stupid

Stupid Guest

I trialled TuneUp Utilities a few months ago, liked it, bought it. I like freeware, but TUU offers in one package a whole set of programmes that it would take me ages to find freeware substitutes and XP tweaks for. It's a great suite.

I've never had any problems with TUU's Registry Cleaner and Registry Defrag; the cleaner always creates a backup in the Rescue Centre, so you should be safe. Using the Registry Editor is another matter. It's pretty much the same as the Regedit function in XP, with a nicer GUI. I spent a happy afternoon working through the registry, deleting all references to various bits of software I'd uninstalled months ago (Norton AV in particular just hates to say goodbye...)

Big mistake. Explorer kept on crashing, couldn't get my system stable again, screwed up too badly for TUU's rescue centre or system restore to help, ended up having to reformat and reinstall windows. User stupidity wins again!

Still, it was educational.

14. smiddy

smiddy Registered Member

I suggest you buy a Copy of winxp pro or some Operating system if you can afford it as you will most likelly be using it to repair or recover your system some day but if you cant can i suggest the Freeware world of linux?

smiddy :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.