Problem with Aoemi backupper.please assist.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Red Moon, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello.
    Im currently using linux mint as my main OS and i have a aoemi windows 7 back up image stored on an external HDD.

I decided to partition my hard drive with gparted and the second partition had approximately 250gb of unallocated space.
    My plan was to attempt to restore the windows 7 image to the newly created partiton but aoemi says that the target partition is too small.!

My windows 7 image is nowhere near that large.Could somebody be so kind as to explain why aoemi will not restore my image.

Thank you.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

It's not the image itself, what AOMEI meant was that your original Windows 7 partition was larger than 250GB, not that your windows 7 image, or the used space on your original windows 7 partition was larger than 250GB.
    Some imaging apps support the restore of an image to a smaller partition, such as Acronis and Paragon. However since you already used AOMEI to make the image, there is little you can do now, other than increase the size of your 2nd partition to at least the same size as your original Windows 7 partition.

3. The Red Moon

Thank you.
    To do that i would have to format my entire hard drive and start all over again.
    Is their any formatting software i can use which i can burn to a cd and format like this?

Ive never formatted a hard drive before.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It'd be easier to wipe the drive with GParted - format to NTFS - Manage Flags - Boot.

Then restore 7. Go through a couple boot cycles to satisfy Windows file check.

Then boot to Mint & follow the EASY instructions to share your Drive with both 7 & Mint.

That is by far the easiest & most fool proof way.

There's many other ways.

5. The Red Moon

@zapjb.
    Thank you very much.I have a gparted live cd but i dont see a format or wipe function.That is the path i was going to take.When i created the image i stupidly did not partition the hard drive prior to taking the image.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Wipe or Delete are ~same.

Right clicking on partitions you see more options or same options you might've missed.

Oh after restoring 7. Before loading Mint. I'd load GParted 1 more time and make sure 7 install is taking up all the space on your drive. Otherwise I'd expand the 7 partition & reboot for Windows to file check.

Then load Mint & let it partition or aid you in partitioning the drive. I only add these steps because I'm unfamiliar with Ameoi or whatevers the name. And different programs handle restore sizing differently.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.