Problem with Ad-aware.exe (corrupt file)

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by t-zilla, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-zilla

t-zilla Registered Member

Currently I'm working my @## off trying to rid my computer of any and all bugs, viruses, demons, baddies, etc, but I have come across a problem when I try to execute adaware. About half way through the process, I get a indicator message at the bottom right of my computer screen, (with a yellow caution icon attached, similar to the post icon for this thread). The message says exactly this:

"Ad-aware.exe - Corrupt File
    The file or directory \WINDOWS\System32\hccoin.dll is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

Well, I ran Chkdsk and it produced a whole lot of foriegn (computer) language. at the end of the scan, it asked me if I would like to change/convert all of these files, but I said no. Should I have said yes? Is this the right way to resolve this issue? If you can help me, will you? Is this enough information, or am I just running around in circles. I have already downloaded, (and ran) spybot, cwshredder, highjackthis, and a free virus scan from Panda. If I am posting this thread in the wrong place I appologize, but I am sort of new to the whole security forum thing. However, I do think that what you people are doing is great and it is very inspiring. Many thanks!!!

2. josh

josh Guest

i'm having the same problem w/ Ad-aware, too. However, after each scan, I get an unexpected error, and it shuts down. Very confusing.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, t-zilla and josh

As you both have Ad-aware, I would advise to post your Hijack log on their Forum, along with any info.

As they are the best on Ad-aware. [I guess]

Thake Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Have you tried deleting the reflist.ref and then renaming the reflist.ref.old as reflist.ref?
    What version of reflist are you using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.