Problem with Ad-aware.exe (corrupt file)

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by t-zilla, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-zilla

t-zilla Registered Member

Currently I'm working my @## off trying to rid my computer of any and all bugs, viruses, demons, baddies, etc, but I have come across a problem when I try to execute adaware. About half way through the process, I get a indicator message at the bottom right of my computer screen, (with a yellow caution icon attached, similar to the post icon for this thread). The message says exactly this:

"Ad-aware.exe - Corrupt File
    The file or directory \WINDOWS\System32\hccoin.dll is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

Well, I ran Chkdsk and it produced a whole lot of foriegn (computer) language. at the end of the scan, it asked me if I would like to change/convert all of these files, but I said no. Should I have said yes? Is this the right way to resolve this issue? If you can help me, will you? Is this enough information, or am I just running around in circles. I have already downloaded, (and ran) spybot, cwshredder, highjackthis, and a free virus scan from Panda. If I am posting this thread in the wrong place I appologize, but I am sort of new to the whole security forum thing. However, I do think that what you people are doing is great and it is very inspiring. Many thanks!!!

2. josh

josh Guest

i'm having the same problem w/ Ad-aware, too. However, after each scan, I get an unexpected error, and it shuts down. Very confusing.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, t-zilla and josh

As you both have Ad-aware, I would advise to post your Hijack log on their Forum, along with any info.

As they are the best on Ad-aware. [I guess]

Thake Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Have you tried deleting the reflist.ref and then renaming the reflist.ref.old as reflist.ref?
    What version of reflist are you using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.