Problem with Acronis Backing up to WD My Book 2tb

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by claudioaudio, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claudioaudio

claudioaudio Registered Member

Hello Everyone, I have Acronis True Image Personal and I have never had a problem creating a backup image to an other external harddrive.

But now that im trying to save a new backup image to WD 2TB external, i get this error:

"failed to read data from disk"

I can still back up to any other drive though....And the WD external drive works fine otherwise.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I also have a WD My Book 2tb drive (My Book Essential model). Acronis Backup & Restore 10 (Workstation edition) works fine with it, although I only have it installed on a BartPE flash disk. (That is, I run my Acronis backups when Windows is offline). Also, my laptop only has USB 2.0 ports, so while My Book supports USB 3.0, I cannot say if that would be a problem for some backup software.

If you have the same external drive as I do, then it came "SmartWare" included which has received some negative feedback. The software includes an encryption module and a backup module. The backup module is set to run automatically whenever the drive is connected. If you chose to install that component, it might explain why other backup software fails to run while My Book is connected to your computer.

Personally I only installed the SmartWare settings component on a virtual machine long enough to enable the password protection/encryption of the WD drive. I dare not install it on a real computer because of the negative reviews (especially in the comments section of the linked site above).

Which version of Acronis are you using and do you run it from windows, linux, winpe, or other? Are you using USB 2.0 or 3.0 connection for the backups to My Book?

Try downloading snapshot.exe (it's a small file, no install necessary). See if you can back up your system with it to your My Book drive (I can - in fact, that's the backup utility I use most frequently). That way you can find out if the problem is specific to Acronis, or whether it's likely to affect all backup software.

3. claudioaudio

Thanks for the response. Im using Acronis True Image Personal. Thanks for the snapshot download. i will try and report back here.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

claudioaudio, which version of Acronis are you using? We know your using True Image, but we need to know what build. ATI 11, ATI 2010, ATI 2011? Also have you updated the firmware for the drive? Don't install the smartware unless you need it. Just update the firmware. That may fix the problem.

5. claudioaudio

Im using True Image "Personal" (ATIH 2010) It was Included with my music computer
    As far as WD Mybook, Yes i have installed the firmware and removed Smartware.

But now A new Problem: Now it seems like Acronis is even showing errors when trying to backup to other drives as well..(which never happened before Buying WD Mybook)
    The error says from "cannot read data from disk 2"..

Acronis is showing that "Disk 2" has 2 partitions... My "C:drive" and "System reserve"..Is this error happening because Im checking "System Reserve"...Do i need this in a backup?

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Just make sure the SmartWare is really gone. Some of the people in the link I posted before had a lot of trouble removing it completely.

Do the errors appear when My Book is not connected to your computer? I mean, it's possible to have My Book and another external drive connected at the same time, and to try to do an Acronis backup to the other drive, in which case a conflict with WD's backup software might still occur as the presence of the My Book could trigger it, or some remnants of it if any are still present.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I had a lot of problems out of ATI 2010. I dropped it from my setup. I believe version 2010 was a lemon. I had error after error with ATI 2010. It was not dependable to restore my machines. I use ATI 11, and Shadow Protect 4. I want to try ATI 2011, but I don't have anymore machines to have use of another Imagining program at the moment. I hope Acronis resolved the problems i found in 2010 with version 2011. They had always been dependable in the past until 2010 came out. If i was you I would also post your problem on Acronis forum. They may be able to help you better. -http://forum.acronis.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.