Problem when downloading zip files

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ziphead, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziphead

ziphead Guest

Hi

Whenever i download a zip file, after it's complete, Winzip 9.0 tries to auto unzip the file and install it. I don't want to do it this way, i would rather just download it to my desktop for later unzipping, and afterwards scan it with my av.

I was wondering if anyone knows why this is happening? Is there some setting in Winzip9.0 (or Win xp) that i could change to stop this from happening? I am using Win xp sp2, Firefox 1.0 (as my browser), and Winzip9.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Zipperhead, ;)

You may have selected to auto open those types of file extensions with in Firefox ...

Goto Tools -> Options -> select "Downloads" in the left pane and see if you have this auto enabled.

Steve

Attached Files:

3. ziphead

ziphead Guest

Hi Dog,

Strange it seems when I select the Dowloads tab to look, the 'file types' box is completely empty. Not like your picture, which seems to have many different file types. Does that mean I need a plug-in for Firefox to view them? Or is it something else? I just have the basic Firefox browser, I didn't add much to it. Thanks.

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Ziphead, ;)

No you don't need anything "extra" ... it's like this by default. Try changing the setting for the "Download Folder" to ask me where to save every file. Then close/restart FireFox and try and download another Zip file. Otherwise I'm not sure why you don't see anything listed in the File Types Section.

You can see your problem in the ScreenShot below : the right side highlights the option you must have set (in the Box) ... you can click the "change action" to change it to save to disk.

HTH, ;)

Steve

ps. Don't be confused by the "different" styles & info in the two screenshot ... they were taken on two different PC's ;)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.