Problem w/ Backing up the OS drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by queann, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queann

queann Registered Member

Greetings to your team,
    i would like to raise this questions to your team, "Does acronis support creating image of a currently running OS?"
    Here is the situation to make you understand my problem much better..
    Im running a Suse Linux Enterprise server 9 on a Dell Power Edge 1800 server with Raid Drive attached adn have ATI build 914 installed. I made a cronjob that would execute every friday at 3pm. The creation of the raid disk image is successful while the creation of the OS drive image hangs up thus causing our server to lock-up. I just would like to know if acronis is capable of backing up this particular os drive(contains Suse Enterprise Server)even if acronis trueimage is installed on the same drive. I really nid info on this....Pls sir i nid to figure out what the problem is...by the way im using A lacie external usb drive(150GB) for storing the newly created images

Thank you for reading and more power to your team
    Very sori for the bad english

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello queann,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

Yes, Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux allows you to create an image of your entire configuration on a live system so you never need to reboot or shut down your server.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (946) of Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the problem still persists after installing the update then please let me know the following details:

- What do you mean when saying that "...the creation of the raid disk image is successful while the creation of the OS drive image hangs up thus causing our server to lock-up..."?

- How many hard drives do you have in your server? Which of them are in RAID?

- Where the system partition resides?

- What happens if you start the backup process manually, instead of the automatic scheduled task?

- Please try to create an image saving it to any local or network hard drive, rather than to the external USB drive and let me know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. queann

queann Registered Member

Thank you sir for your quick response

- What do you mean when saying that "...the creation of the raid disk image is successful while the creation of the OS drive image hangs up thus causing our server to lock-up..."?

*what i mean is the shell script first creates a full image of my raid disk and successfully finishes the image creation, but when it comes to the creation of the image of the os drive it wont be able to complete the said process because the server would stop responding

- How many hard drives do you have in your server? Which of them are in RAID?
    *our server has 4 drives, 3 of which is part of the raid

- Where the system partition resides?
    *the system partition resides on our HD0 or first hard drive

- What happens if you start the backup process manually, instead of the automatic scheduled task?
    *when i start the backup manually the process stops responding sometimes and sometimes finishes the creation of images

- Please try to create an image saving it to any local or network hard drive, rather than to the external USB drive and let me know the results.
    *im trying this out right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.