Problem using Hosts file on XP...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Uffbros, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Anyone know hgow to make this work in Win XP..I load the host file and can't get on any site when I do o_O?? I am told that the host file is too large and XP can't handle it?? So who can use this then if that is true? If not true how do I make it worko_O? I have done this right so it isn't that..Thanks.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've never had a problem using Hpguru's Hosts file on XP. But then, I've disabled the DNS Client service at: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > scroll down to "DNS Client" and right-click > Properties > Startup type: Disabled.

Assuming you got a clean download / extract of the Hosts file without corruption and placed it in: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ as "Hosts" (or the equivolent location on your system), it should work fine.

The DNS Client service is pretty much a wasted service on standalone end-user PCs. I've never found it worth running and simply let my network aware applications (like browser and email clients, etc.) go out to my ISP's DNS servers directly for resolution. Since they'll hit this Hosts file first, it works really well for me and fast.

3. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Thanks..It now works when I disable that DNS item.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Indeed, there have been reports on varous websites that large hosts files do not work properly with Windows 2000 or XP.

It seems that only some systems have problems with them, but for those that do, the majority of issues can be resolved with the step LowWaterMark pointed out above. If disabling the DNS Client Service does not fix the issue, there isn't any other known fix at this point in time (other than removing the Hosts file).

I'm glad to see it fixed the problem in your case.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.