Problem setting up email & no beeps or speech?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Tired, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tired

Tired Registered Member

Well as long as I had all the problems with the false positives this morning (which is getting resolved with the help of Jooske and Pilli) I thought I would toss out a few things that I have not been able to get working.

#1 This morning I wanted to send DSC an email to submit my "trojans" for review but I couldn't get the email to work.
    I tried following exactly all the help file directions and tried it a few different ways in case I did not understand. Still got failured notice on TDS window.
    Help??

#2 I have tried the PC speaker BEEP tests but never hear any soundso_O

#3 What is Speech Synthesis? I push "test" and nothing ever happenso_O

I know one of you enlightened souls will show me the way :D .

Tracy

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Now i like to know if you're using XP or another windows version? for that differs for the speech instructions.

For the email: make sure in TDS > Configuration > Servers tab you have your right outbox and ip address which you can test thre if it works fine.
    If there is autification needed it might not work and you'll have to submit files zipped attached to emails manually,

Beep is for most people the standard windows warning sound, in the current systems windows seems to take over and no different beep patterns are possible anymore.

The speech is part of msagent, so with that you can have TDS speaking to you.
    But you need to be msagent ready on your system and have several speech engines installed and the proper runtimes. Now it is really imperative to know which windows version you're running to give you the proper instructions for the right downloads.
    XP for instance ships with it's own msagent.exe version, for the core part.
    On it's install cd-rom that part is there and several msagent characters, and most probably the SAPI4 runtimes. Those are in the TDs directory too, or if not yet look on the TDS site for the scripts and speech pack to download.
    It's thespchapi.exe which connects the available speech engines to TDS.
    You can grab the TTS engines (text-to-speech), voice recognition, various languages, and for the languages the corresponding language core parts, and msagent characters.
    www.microsoft.com/msagent the download page.
    If you doanload for instance the default (necessary) US english voice, no need for an additional USenglish core part (the 128 kb files on top) but if you grab for instance french you should get the french core too, etc etc
    Install all default And get the msagent characters like Genie and all four from that site.
    Now after getting all that TDS should have voice too!
    If you are on XP, that has the sapi5 engine installed, you'll have to disable that temporary, so spi4 for TDS and msagents can work.
    You'll be able to test online at msagent tryout if all is installed and working properly and if so, TDS should be able to speak to you:
    type in the bottom of the TDS console
    speak "hello Tracy, congratulations with TDS now speaking to you!"
    and if all went well you should now hear it!

3. Tired

Tired Registered Member

My OS is WIN XP Pro (see signature)
    For now I think I will wait on the speech and I still cannot hear a beep of any kind when I test but that is not important.
    * Most importantly though I would like for the email to work.
    I entered everything as I should..so what could be wrong? What is autification?

Thanks.
    Tracy

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Autofication is maybe necessary for your email client as an extra option if that is asked for by the ISP, nothing TDS can do about that.
    On the server tab put your ISP on port 80
    fill in the mailbox you always use in your email client if that is possible with the corresponding email address. The same you always use for sending emails. If you only use webmail than there could be a problem.

Forget the beeps, that is only for systems without soundcards and which use the PC speaker only.

What's the problem with speech?
    Just install all the sound and speech engines from www.microsoft.com/msagent download page + agent characters + in the bottom the sapi4 runtimes
    In your windows control panel you should locate the speech engines and choose tehre for the sapi4 and disable sapi5
    That's all there is.
    And type in the bottom of TDS
    speak "hello!"
    (with those quotes exactly!) should work.
    And you can test on the tryout msagent pages to test if all works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.