Problem resizing partitions - now my d: drive shows up as unformatted! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by rrogers, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrogers

rrogers Registered Member

I was trying to redistribute frees pace on my windows 2003 server but apparently there was a problem. When the server supposedly finished and rebooted the d: drive was unavailable and showing up as unformatted.

The odd part (thankfully) is that I can still browse the partition from within partition manager. I tried running the undelete partition wizard from within partition manager but it didn't find any partitions to recover...

What now?? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm using partition manager 7.0 - server edition.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

PM7 is before my time, but judging from the recent versions, there is no partition to undelete, because what you have is already a partition ( albeit unformatted).

Suggest you make an image of the unformatted partition and save it somewhere safe.

Then delete the partition and run the undelete tool.

3. rrogers

Well I copied the partition to another drive and mounted it as f:.. The copied partition (f:) showed up as unformatted too but I'm able to browse it from Partition Manager and see the data just like on the D: partition.

I delete and undeleted the d: partition but it came back as unformatted still...

Any other ideas?

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Are you able to access the drive in Windows or only from Partition Manager. If you're able to access the data from both Windows and PM, try running a checkdisk with /r parameter. PM 7 was also before my time, but do check if there is a file transfer type of operation where you can relocate the data elsewhere, format the drive, and put it back.

5. rrogers

I found a utility called Partition Find and Mount that let me mount the partition so that I could robocopy all of my data to another drive. Then I'll format the "unformatted" partition and robocopy my data back.

More than 24 hours of server down time and my partitions will have the same space as when I started...So all of this for nothing...Awesome! That's okay though, Partition Commander can take care of the job. :)

Note: To anyone thinking about using Partition Find and Mount. The free version has a 512kb/s speed limitation. You have to purchase the "Pro" version to get better throughput.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

PM7 is pretty old - didn't it allow you to copy the data from the mounted partition?

That would have saved you buying Find and Mount.

Alternatively, there is a file transfer Wizard on the free Paragon Rescue Kit Express:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/features.html

I am sure Partition Commander can do it - and I am also sure the more recent versions of Paragon , e.g. PM10 would also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.