problem removing backup tib file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ayrton, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayrton

Ayrton Registered Member

Hello,

I made a full image of my harddrive. Then after 2 weeks I made a incremental backup. Then after a while I decided to mount both images and remove all out of the image that I wasn't using anymore.

Then I found out that the first image was deleted. So now I have 1 incremental, 2 edited tib files, but the first tib file is gone.

I used a couple of applications already to restore the lost tib file, but without any luck.

Is it possible to regenerate the first tib file out of the 3 others?

Or does anybody have an idea? Cause now the other images are asking for the first create tib file before they can restore some...

HELP :'(

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

You can try to use recovery software that works on deleted files, but it is better to make another FULL image backup.

3. Ayrton

Ayrton Registered Member

Tried that, the software (multiple software programs tried) cannot restore the file :(

But I cannot make a FULL image anymore... got my machine rebuild with vista and it was installed with XP.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm a little lost here. :)

You made a full image and then an incremental = 2 tib files. Where did the third file come from?

Colin

5. Ayrton

Ayrton Registered Member

Okay... first in october I created a full backup of my xp machine.
    In november I made an incremental backup.

This saturday I removed all that is not needed in the full backup and incremental backup. 2 more tib files were created.

So I had xp.tib=full (about 9Gb), xp2.tib=incremental (about 9.6Gb), xp3.tib=full minus all not needed software (about 460Mb), xp4.tib=incremental minuws all not needed software (about 490Mb).

I just checked all and I found out later that the first xp.tib is not there anymore. So left are: xp2.tib, xp3.tib and xp4.tib.

Now no files can be restored from the tib file left, cause ATI is looking for xp.tib

I checked my drive with a lot of tools already. The software can find a lot of files that WERE on my disc once, but the xp.tib is not there to be found.

I'm not happy about this and was hoping that I could regenerate the data. It seems ATI is able to verify the images, but not open them to select data out of it.

Hope you can help me.

Thanx

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well I've never been able to get mount and alter to work, I get an error about not able to assign a drive letter, though I can just mount, so I can't say whether this is a known problem or not.

It is strange that it seems to have deleted the full image.

I take it you've tried restoring from either tib3 or tib4?

Have you tried making another full image with the name xp.tib and see if it then is happy.

What happens if you change the name of xp2.tib to xp.tib. perhaps TI got confused and renamed xp->xp2, seeing as how this file is almost the same size as your original. Because if none of your undelete programs can find traces of the xp.tib file, then either something has gone wrong with the MBR or your disk or a file wiper program has done a very good job or it is still there just renamed.

Colin

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  7. Ayrton

Ayrton Registered Member

Restoring from xp3.tib and xp4.tib is not working.

Renaming the xp2.tib --> xp.tib and ATI tells me: not a valid image file.

Making a new full image is not possible... I run Vista now :D

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What version of TI do you have?

There was a posting here on someone making an image of Vista using TI, though I think it might have been from the rescue CD.

Colin

9. Ayrton

Ayrton Registered Member

Well... if the previous backups are xp related, will a full backup of vista help? o_O

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ayrton,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that if you mount image archive in read/write mode, Acronis True Image assumes that the connected image will be modified, and creates an incremental archive file to capture the changes. The original image archive is not change. Therefore, the situation you described is very strange.

I believe you used Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Since you are running Windows Vista I would recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home which support the above operating system.

You also metioned that
    Could you please validate the image archives using Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Backup Archive) of Acronis True Image and let us know the exact check-out result? You can use Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home or using the trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home under Windows Vista. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also collect the log file from Acronis True Image that contains validation results. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.