Problem re-sizing D drive (need help)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by acr1965, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a Dell desktop with Vista Home Premium. My issue is that I have a D drive which came with only 10 GB of space available. I need to re-size it because the drive is almost completely full. The D drive is, from what I understand, the restore info, etc.

I tried to make the drive larger with the Disk Management tool in Vista to no avail. The Disk Management would not let me re-size the drive. I then downloaded the Easeus Partition Manager Pro. I was not allowed to re-size the D drive with Easeus either. But I noticed that I did not have any unallocated space available. So I made my C drive like 15 GB smaller which made 15 GB of unallocated space. I rebooted and the hard drive now shows the unallocated space. But when I try to make my D drive larger I am still not able to do so. It appears from what I am seeing that I cannot re-size the D drive.

What am I missing? Or does Dell not allow the D drive to be re-sized at all? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Checkout Goodell who is the authority on this subject.

Imho those hidden utility partitions (used by Dell, HP and others) are a major nuissance and just about worthless after you've been using your PC for period of time!

3. acr1965

thanks for the link

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Since it is a utility partition, why would you want to resize it?

5. acr1965

It has other things on it as well-

Dell, Program files, Windows, etc. I see the Windows folder has been modified recently and drive is 99% full. I ran some diagnostic test in Vista the other day and was informed that a disk this full may cause some instability problems.

6. acr1965

:doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

anyone else? nothing seems to work.

7. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Adminstrative Tools
    Computer Management
    Storage
    Disk management
    Choose the "X" partition, next to the one you want to extend, and select "Delete Volume" or "Shrink Volume".

After Completion, select the volume next to it (presumably "D") and select "Extend Volume".

You can also download an/or buy paragon Software's Hard Disk manager for more extensive options.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't understand what anything else besides the restore image is doing on your D drive. Usually Vista and apps and all are on C, with a small, 10-15 gig partition D for the restore image. I'd get everything else off D, and use C. Leave D alone, it's meant for the restore only. I'm surprised you could even write anything else to D.

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

@acr1965,

You need a partition manager and here is where you can get a pretty good one for free!!! It's not the current version but others on this forum have reported good results using it, and I believe it's Vista compatible.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 SE

Important: This product also allows you to create a disk-image backup, which I strongly advise you to do before making any partition changes!!!

Hth,
    JA

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi acr1965,

Give it a try with the BootIt™ NG install/boot CD. Just cancel the install and go into maintenance mode. I used it a couple of weeks ago to delete my Thinkpad's restore partition and resize the system partition to gain the extra space. As ericwss suggests, back up before resizing.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.