Problem preparing bootable rescue disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobengel, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobengel

bobengel Registered Member

I'm using Acronis 2009 and followed the instructions for preparing a bootable rescue disk on a CD-R disk. After the process was completed, I got an error message indicating "Bad Media" but when I looked at the files that were copied to the disk, they are:

bootmenu.bin
    bootwiz.bin
    f11.cfg
    kernel.dat
    ramdisk.dat
    splsh.run

Is this the complete set of files needed for a rescue disk? If so, why did I get a "Bad Media" message at the end of the process?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried booting from the disk?

TI seems to throw bad media messages at odd times for no good reason.

If the disk boots and runs, and you can Validate one of your backups, it's probably fine.

If you want to pursue this, just make another CD and see if it throws the same message, but still boots and runs.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

bobengel, I can add, that there is another way to create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media:

Launch the program -> Tools -> Create Bootable Rescue Media -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Select ISO image -> Next -> Specify the location to store the file to and the file name -> Next -> Proceed

You can learn more on how to burn an ISO Image to a CD disk here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

4. bobengel

Hi John,

I tried your suggestion and the first message identified the disk as Acronis Rescue media but the boot failed.

I'm hoping that someone who has prepared a similar disk would look at the files to see if they are the same as on mine in my post.

5. bobengel

I don't have an ISO image for it to look for so I guess I need to create one first. All I have are the various .tib archives that were made from my backup schedule.

In any case, I tried using the boot disk with the files as indicated in my original post. The boot message recognized the disk as Acronis Recovery but the boot failed for some reason. This tells me that I don't have all of the necessary files on the disk.

I will next try to prepare a boot disk using a removalbe drive now and see if that works.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

bobengel

Prepare a new Rescue CD using the instructions here.
    How To Create a TrueImageHome Rescue CD
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253
    I believe you are mis-understanding this option. Please reread the post #3 by Acronis support. If you have TrueImage installed, you use the same media builder to create your own iso file as you do when creating the CD. What the creation of a iso file does is to give you another method of creating the normal TI REscue CD. In this case, support's suggestion was for you to create iso file and save it onto your computer (probably desktop) and then use your CD writer to write/burn (not copy) the new iso file onto the CD.

7. bobengel

Thanks for the information. Creating an ISO file worked fine and I tested it. Booting from the CD with the ISO file brought up the Acronis application that would restore so it looks like everything is OK now.

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No cigar yet, though. LOL. Until you actually do a restore (to a spare drive) you cannot be 100% sure a restore will be successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.