Problem nod32 and LNS 2.05p2

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by pj320, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

Ok please bear with me. I just switched from outpost to LNS and finding out it's really indeed a better firewall in regards to system resources usage. But I have this problem after using lns. Everytime I open or restart my pc my nod32 would place itself on my taskbar and i'm starting to get annoyed with it. This never happened when im using outpost. I'm wonderin if there's a conflict between them when loading their services. It's not really a big problem but it's too irritable. any help is much appreciated. thanks!

2. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi,

I used to be an Outpost user, and now I´m a LNS user and and never had any kind of problem with NOD32.
    Maybe you should ask this question in NOD32 forum.
    Did you try to uninstall NOD32, boot your PC, erase Eset folder and reinstall NOD32 again ?

Best regards,

DonKid.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use both LnS and Nod32 on 2 machines without issue. I don't think this is an LnS problem and as such I would suggest taking the following course of action:

Please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

REBOOT your Computer.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

4. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

as I observed the startup behaviour of nod32, it did not sometimes placed itself in my taskbar. Maybe I should add some sort of delay for it but i don't know how. btw thanks for your replies. Blackspear I will try that one and see how it goes.

5. habs

habs Guest

well pj320 if this makes you feel right this is happening to me also. I did a cleaning of nod install again and everything was fine for a while but it returned to do this (note this only happens when I turn it on , not when I restart).

On the other hand I have lavasoft adaware, which once damaged nod32 in my comp, and now im guessing it may not be looknstop but lavasoft adaware. Do you have it install??, this way we can isolate lavasoft if you dont have it?

6. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

no i dont have ad-aware installed on my system but I do have giant antispyware. I don't think that they are the culprit because this never happened to me when i'm still using outpost. what i'm thinking is that there's a conflict between loading their services at startup.

7. dog

dog Guest

The conflict must also involve something else ... because I use both LnS and NOD and I don't experience any such problem. Have you tried disabling other apps at startup to see if there is another cause? Or start with only NOD and LnS loading at startup and add the others you have loading one at a time.

Steve

8. habs

habs Guest

what i dont understand then is why when i install nod again the problem will be fix for maybe 2 weeks and then boom. if there was a problem shouldnt it come right away. BTW im using windows 2000 sp4

9. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

yes i'm planning to do that but I'm still trying this other procedure.Habs could you also give it a try to see if it works? Because since yesterday I haven' had the problem. What I did was change the startup method of lns from "system" to "start menu". I'm going to test this a little longer to see if the issue is already gone.

10. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

what I saw once that looked similiar had today with not enough ram - that sometimes stopped icons from loading on my win2ksp4 system - normaly a reset settled the thing though

It nearly always happend when another startup application stopped or obstructed the startup - in my case when regrun found some changes nearly always I missed one or two icons - mainly nod - but as I said it goes away when I restart - you should probably check your startup - there might be an obstruction there - although not visible (could even be some rests of outpost trying to load something)

Ruben

11. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

my startup looks fine. As I dont see any weird application. The problem only exist after the installation of lns.. I will try to remove it because the above procedures did'nt work.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  12. tosbsas

bear with us - which apss are you starting and give us some more data on you hardware

Ruben

13. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

Giant antispyware = "C:\Program Files\...\GIANT Company Software\GIANT AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
    nod32 = "C:\Program Files\...\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    nero = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    kernel fault check = %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    look n' stop = "C:\Program Files\...\looknstop\looknstop.exe" -auto

my specs are:
    P4 2.4c | MSI 875p neo FIS2R | 512MB DDR400 | FX 5200 | 40GB Maxtor D8 | Liteon 52x cdrw | Samsung 753DFX 17" | FDD | 300 Watts PSU | XPPro SP2

14. tosbsas

If you ask me - try starting without giant and see what happens.

In another thread on nod board the even suggest setting up xp with - no autologin - cause some machines are too fast :)--)) which solved the problem

Ruben

15. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

i have tried disabling all startup except for nod32 and lns and still it's the same. So i can conclude that the problem exist between the two. Anyways I think no one can solve this for now so I will try to get along with it.

16. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi pj320

Have you tried disabling NOD32 Splash screen on startup ?

Here are some questions; you don’t need to answer them if you don’t want.

- Have you uninstall all other third-party software firewalls before Installing Look ‘n’ Stop?
    - Are you using the soft4Ever separate utility to launch Look ‘n’ Stop application at an very early stage or you simply using the default start-up methods available in Look ‘n’ Stop ‘Options’ screen?
    - Have you tried disabling Look ‘n’ Stop from automatically starting up with Windows and see if that fixed the NOD32 anomaly?
    - Assuming you have done the above, if there were conflict between the two softwares, you should be-able to determine by uninstalling Look ‘n’ Stop and NOD32 return back to normal (if there were a conflict between the two software).

17. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

-yes I had nod32 splash screen disabled.

-yes, i have uninstalled outpost first before installing Look 'n' Stop.
    -no, i don't think so. I have'nt install anything except phantom rules v6.
    -yes, i did that and nod runs ok and doesn't pop on my taskbar.
    -yes i'm thinking of returning back to outpost but it somethings holding me back. I like the way lns eats up memory which is small. (3MB compared to outpost's 20+MB)

18. habs

habs Registered Member

try this its working for me

uninstall both nod and looknstop

install first nod then looknstop and see what happens

19. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

I've tried that earlier but unfortunately the problem still exist. Nice to hear that it's working for you.

20. pj320

pj320 Registered Member

problem was solved with reinstallation of windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.