Problem launching a game-- does eSET know anything?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by NYCaribou, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCaribou

    NYCaribou Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Posts:
    4
    Location:
    United States
    I've been using eSET Smart Security 5.2.91 for Windows 7 64-bit for some time now. It runs smooth and I've had no problems.

    Just a week ago something cropped up and I'm looking to see if eSET has anything to offer or input.

    The timing of this perfectly intersects with Hurricane Sandy, but my ISP has proven to have handled the storm well and all of my internet functions continue to run perfectly-- except one.

    Whenever I try to user the launcher program for Star Wars: The Old Republic, the launcher login screen blacks out and "Login Server Not Available" appears. I have tried every single option offered by the techs at Bioware and the problem *ABSOLUTELY* refuses to go away. Finally one tech asked what my firewall program was, saying he's seen some specific ones cause issues even when disabled. (I had tried temporarily disabling the eSET firewall to see if it helped, and it didn't.) I figured I had nothing to lose by posting here. Maybe one of the most recent software updates did something?

    I've tried turning on Gamer Mode manually but for some reason, this appears to be blocked? The link in regular setup doesn't click, and when I go to Advanced Setup, enter the password I set to protect it, and check the checkbox there, when I click OK I don't get an Administrator check and when I go back into that area a minute later, it's automatically un-checked itself.

    I tried doing a search of the forums for "Star Wars: The Old Republic" and "SWTOR" and all posts that came back, the last replies were a minimum of a year old and these forums disallowed replying to them.

    Has eSET received any other inquiries about this?
     
  2. Cudni

    Cudni Global Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Posts:
    6,956
    Location:
    Somethingshire
    Did the game start correctly before the storm? If you deinstall Eset does it work?
     
  3. NYCaribou

    NYCaribou Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Posts:
    4
    Location:
    United States
    I THINK Bioware just successfully resolved this, although I'm waiting before "officially" marking this resolved.

    There is a thread where another user went into Advanced Setup -> Web and Email -> Protocol filtering and disabled Protocol Filtering. I decided to be a step more conservative and simply checked the checkbox to exclude SWTOR's launcher application from protocol filtering.

    I don't remember this ever being a problem before, but then I don't remember the exact date that my Smart Security software updated to version 5.2.91 either. I know for a long time I was using, I think the name of the program is EAV or AVG? I was using its antivirus and one day it updated to a version that just completely bolluxed up my hard drive. I heard they lost a lot of customers that day, including me.

    Anyway, my launcher program appears to be downloading a game software update. It's over 1.5 GB so I'm waiting for it to finish. If I can actually get into the game and play it, I will mark this thread resolved and suggest to the admins that they archive it for future reference.
     
  4. Niels

    Niels Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Posts:
    466
    Location:
    Belgium
    Hello NYCaribou,

    If it had something to do with a firewall, another error message will be displayed. You have witnissed it yourself, that you still are unable to connect, even when ESET firewall is disabled.

    This error message means that one of the game login servers is down. Try what is suggested here.

    Do other online games work?

    Regards,
    Niels
     
  5. NYCaribou

    NYCaribou Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Posts:
    4
    Location:
    United States
    Wow... I'd tried uninstalling and re-installing the game client. Must have ended up with the bare-bones day-of-launch version. Game client absolutely forced an entire THREE HOURS worth of downloads.

    Cudni and Niels, to answer your questions, yes the game worked perfectly prior to Frankenstorm. And World of Warcraft continued to work fine even while SWTOR was refusing to access the login server(s).

    The answer WAS in the protocol filtering. Once SWTOR's launcher.exe and swtor.exe were added to the exclusion list for protocol filtering, the game worked fine. Once it finally updated back up to the current version, which was what I was waiting for-- I wasn't going to mark this solved once and for all until I actually got into the game itself and was able to play it a little. Finally I got that done, and I think we can mark this SOLVED. :cool:

    Protocol filtering for individual programs never seemed to be an issue before and it still isn't for any other website, nor for World of Warcraft. But, like I said, I don't remember when Smart Security updated to version 5.2.91 either.

    Thanks for your prompt replies. The problem, however, turned out to be in the protocol filtering. Once launcher.exe and swtor.exe were added to a list of exceptions, the game worked fine.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.