problem installing router

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The_1337, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

my router used to work, but after, stopped working after a system recovery. when i run my software, it says that my ip address is invalid. i have a d-link rangebooster G router. i would be greatful for any help.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you tried reseting the router by pushing in the reset button on the back of the router? It will clear the router settings but that shouldn't be a problem since it isn't working as it is.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Could you provide more details like your internet connection type. How is the computer that has the problems connected (wired or wirelessly). What do you mean by 'when your run your software'? Do you mean browser? What version of Windows do you have? This should help the experts help you.

Have you tried going into Network Connections' in Windows Control Panel and right-clicking 'local area connection' and clicking 'repair'? You also might try resetting your modem and router by shutting down your computer and unplugging the power to both the router and modem and waiting a couple minutes. Then plug one in at a time, let them sync up and then restart your computer.

I hope this helps some and hopefully someone else will come along soon.

innerpeace

4. bigc73542

Just one thought, when you remove the power from the router and then reapply the power it doesn't reset the router it only reboots it. All of the settings that were there before power down are still there. The only way to actually reset the router is to hold in the reset button for at least fifteen seconds. This clears all of the custom and added settings from the processor in the router. But a power down and reboot resync might just fix you up.

5. The_1337

i tried resetting the router, but the same thing happens. i use sbc dsl to connect. there was a CD that came with the router so i could set it up. i tried repair, but the connection still says limited or no connectivity. i also rebooted multiple times.

6. bigc73542

can you connect to the internet with out the router in line??

7. The_1337

yes i can.

8. bigc73542

It sounds like the router has an IP set in it and it won't sync with the restored settings in the computer now. I have a Linksys you can have that had the almost same thing happen. It was working before the system restore with ATI and after ?? it never worked again. I eventually had to buy a new router. you might want to call the routers support people and see what they can do. I do wish you good luck.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Oops, I shouldn't have said reset. You are right.

I use a D-link DI-604, and I recall reading once that it likes to power up before the modem. I don't know if this applies to other D-links models or not. You might try uninstalling the software and going back through the user manual step by step to install the router again. Or as bigc suggested, contact support.

I hope you get it figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.