Problem Emailing a Trojan

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Konyntje, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konyntje

Konyntje Registered Member

A scan last night caught two instances of something called 'Riskware.Tool.KillApp.b'. I deleted one and tried to email the other to DCS but I got a message saying "RCPT TO error: 550 relay not permitted". After trying to email it I remembered to check the Primaries List. Its already listed there so I deleted the other instance.

'Still I've got some questions:
    1) What is this little gem do?
    2) How can I fix the email problem in case there's a 'next time'?

Thanks in advance. (And thanks DCS for a great product!)

2. Konyntje

OOPS! I just saw the earlier thread on the same trojan 'KillApps' trojan I just scanned. I have a Creative sound card, too. Nevertheless I do scan fairly often and haven't seen this message before. False positive or not it seems suspicious that this suddenly shows up on a scan. Could a trojan writer be trying to take advantage of known characteristics of how Creative does things?

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Konyntje,
    It's always possible trojan writers use known safe file names; that's why it is important to look for recent modifications, place or the file, etc.

For the email part:have a look at your settings and mailboxes in the configuration tabs, do a test sending some test email to yourself and it should work. Unless you configured a webmail account like hotmail, yahoo, etc.

4. Konyntje

Hi Jooske,
    My earlier email was unclear... I did a succesful email test immediately before trying to send the trojan. It was when I tried to send the trojan to DCS that I got the message.

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

several ISP's won't let you send attacments unless they are zipped and taht copuld be it

or have you made sure that the isp smtp details are the isp you are dialled into
    many ISP's block relaying as an antispam measure and will only accept an outgoing message from you if you have checked for incoming messages within the previous X minutes normally soemwhere between 2 & 10

so try this first, check for incoming messages using your email program, then straight away try to send a file to diamondscs from within tds

make a simple text file in notepad just saying testing if upload working and give a link to this thread, then save it and then go to TDS/help submit file and press the button and navigate to the text file and press ok

but when sending suspects to TDS I find it miuch easier to zip them and attach to a normal email and then send that

6. Konyntje

dvk01:
    I tried your suggestions; no luck, same message. If I encounter another nasty in the future I'll take your advice and just send it via my regular email client.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.