Problem downloading updates for SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by soccerstar9, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerstar9

soccerstar9 Registered Member

I recently tried to download the newest update for SpywareBlaster, but was unable to. I clicked on "Check for Updates" and then it brings up a message saying, "Error Connecting to Update Server". It goes on to say, "There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your PC. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download". I'm not quite sure what this means or how to fix it. I've had SB for about a month now and have not had problems downloading updates before. I first noticed the problem around 10/22/04. I also have AdAware SE on my computer, but haven't had any prior conflicts w/ the 2 programs. Not sure what is going on. Please provide some input if you have any. Thanks.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi soccerstar9. :)

Give this a try,

Open your SpywareBlaster interface, go to Updates>Options and try one of the other methods of downloading updates.

Post back and let us know if it worked.

snowbound

3. soccerstar9

Thanks for the advice, but that didn't work. I understood what you were saying and tried all of the different choices, but none of them worked. Anyone got any other ideas?

4. kka

kka Guest

Northing works for me, either. The alternative download method box is checked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times, at no avail. The database still says 7/7/04. It just cannot connect to the server.
    More: 200-something entries in Firefox/Mozilla unchecks itself over and over again.
    Restricted sites zone says "all enabled". When I go to Control Panel/internet options/, I find restricted sites zone emptied!

5. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

i have just put firefow on as a lternate browser and found out that i had to do the same thing i did before to get the updates for the 25th. it would say it was succesful like it did before but not update anything. theres a link in here somewhere from javacool that gives you five files to download and overwrite them in the blaster folder. then it works. try it. i dont remember where the link is i think its at the top of this forum page.not sure.

6. soccerstar9

Scott, I think our problems are a little different...your was at least saying the download was successful, but I couldn't even get that. Thanks for the help though. I did try to download and replace those 5 things you mentioned, but that did not help. I now have the problem fixed though. Here is what I had to do. Uninstall Spyware Blaster and remove everything dealing w/ it including registry items. I then reinstalled it and had no problems receiving the newest updates for 10/25/04. Thanks to everyone for their input...Contact me if you are having the same problem.

7. scott lang

hey i was just trying. thought it might help. guess not. sorry.

8. kka

kka Guest

Thanks, scott. However, I believe the real problem here is some sort of unknown spyware/adware crippling Spywareblaster, that is, preventing connection to the update server. Spywareblaster used to work all fine on my computer until August.

9. scott lang

well. anyway. he said he fixed it by getting rid of all traces of it everywhere then reinstalling it. so all good i guess.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

kka,

If you feel your problem is due to possible unknown spyware/adware crippling Spywareblaster....Please start your own Topic and we can then attempt to help.

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Here it is,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

Manual updates.

snowbound

12. scott lang

thanks snowbound for the link. i know i have already got the dtb replacements and overwrote them to make the update work again but coulnt remember where they were. thanks.

13. nianderson

nianderson Registered Member

Those manual dtb updates seem to be for 3.1? is there an updated url for downloading the dtbs manually?

14. scott lang

just go to the url scroll down to the trouble shooting tips where the 5 dtb files are and d/ld them and overwrite them in the blaster folder they will work. they did for me. and lots of others. try it.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I can understand the confusion....but fortunately it's simply a matter of the server folder name has not been changed to reflect the 3.2 version change.

www spywareblaster net/spywareblaster31

I can assure the files are for the 3.2 version.

16. scott lang

also if your using spybot go to major geeks and download the last ver. its 1.3.1 TX it fixes the dso exploits it install right over the current 1.3 version.

17. Thank-you very much Scott. I did just like you said, went to Major Geeks site, just downloaded and installed that update fix for the Spybot, the 1.3.1 TX and now my problem with the darn DSO EXPLOIT refusing to go away at the Spybot Search & Destroy main page after hitting the "fix problems button" is now solved !!! Now THAT DREADFUL "DSO EXPLOIT IS GONE" and instead I finally get the big green check with the congratulations word that all problems are fixed in the Spybot main Search & Destroy window, telling me that now all is well and peachy with my Spybot.

Just a word for all you Spybot users : Make sure you get this very important Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3.1 TX update from Major Geeks. It is fully legitimate, with no problems at all. As I found out the hard way, if you try to get this Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3.1 TX update from the Spybot site, ---www.safer-networking.org --- you won't be able to get there, although you might get it if you use the updater feature in the Spybot program itself.

Now I can fully concentrate on my other big headache, of also not being able to download and install the updates for my SpywareBlaster !!!

JOSEPH

18. JOSEPH MATEUS

JOSEPH MATEUS Registered Member

o_O
    Yes, Soccerstar9, I AM TAKING YOU UP ON YOUR SO KIND OFFER. I have exactly the same very problem with my SpywareBlaster 3.2 as you did. It worked just fine in the three weeks since I first installed it in my computer and bought the updates subscription for one year at the same time, with all update downloads with no problem at all, but in the last five days the updates stopped completely and I have become totaly unable to download the updates, after trying everything. And the reasons it gives me for not being able to download the updates are exactly the same ones that you mentioned.

Now I am, just like you, a fully registered and fully paid up subscriber for the SpywareBlaster updates for one year, and still have 344 days to go before my subscription ends. It is indeed really frustrating and most annoying to have paid in full for this update service and now not being able to get it anymore.

I truly think that Javacool Software who charges us for this update service and is the maker of SpywareBlaster 3.2 should by right extend the expiry date for free of our updates subscription by the same amount of days that we are going without the service.

Soccerstar9 would you please help me to solve this most annoying and irritating problem o_O I would appreciate very much indeed if you could e-mail me back with correct step by step instructions to solve the problem, because I am just a layman with limited knowledge of computers and operating systems.

Now I understand from your quote above that this solution of yours envolves having to go into the registry, which is the guts of the operating system, and if I make just a small mistake while I am in the registry, my computer will become totally inoperative....That is exactly why I need your detailed instructions stpe by step, all in order with absolutely no misses at all, as I am trying to solve this problem of not being able to download updates for my SpywareBlaster 3.2 and not end up creating a much bigger problem by wrecking my operating system in the process...

HOPING TO READ FROM YOU SOON WITH ALL YOUR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO PROPERLY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM,

JOSEPH

19. scott lang

Thank-you very much Scott. I did just like you said, went to Major Geeks site, just downloaded and installed that update fix for the Spybot, the 1.3.1 TX and now my problem with the darn DSO EXPLOIT refusing to go away at the Spybot Search & Destroy main page after hitting the "fix problems button" is now solved !!! Now THAT DREADFUL "DSO EXPLOIT IS GONE" and instead I finally get the big green check with the congratulations word that all problems are fixed in the Spybot main Search & Destroy window, telling me that now all is well and peachy with my Spybot i was very glad to have helped out with at least one of your problems joseph.
    i dont know if it would help but you might possibly go to my computer and hit tools and then folder options then view and check show hidden files and folders and un check the 2 right below it. then do a search for, spywareblaster. and delete anything that comes up that has to do with it.
    do you have a registry prg? like regseeker or registry mechanic 3? if so, run a scan on the drive and just delete anything that has spywareblaster in it. if not sure about the rest leave them alone, just the stuff that has to do with blaster. the do the reinstall. or wait for soccerstar to tell you how to do it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  20. soccerstar9

First off, I must warn that after going through the process of uninstalling and completely removing SpyWare Blaster, I reinstalled it, and had no problems getting the updates. However, less than a week later now, I have gone back to having the same problem. I'm not sure why it is doing this. I have also noticed that I am having a problem downloading updates for my Symantec Antivirus, and Lavasoft's AdAware SE Personal. I have gotten similar messages about there being an error and not being able to get the updates.

Also, I must say that I am not a payed subscriber...I just use the free version.

Also, I must say that it is not a good idea to edit the registry (which is what I did about a week ago, which originally seemed to be working for a couple of days), unless you have a decent knowledge about what editting the registry involves. I believe that the problem is with the software...either a glitch or something harmful that is coming w/ the download. It is not being picked up by a virus detector or 3 spyware detectors, so I don't have a clue what is going on. Anyway, write back if you would like more info about going ahead with what I did, however I feel that you are going to need to contact the software provider. Thanks....

21. scott lang

hey soccerstar, your registry editor should have a backup on it if its set to backup before deletion , like mine is, using regseeker, its free, all you have to do is restore the last backup and all that stuff you got rid of will be back and then you will be able to edit out the right stuff and leave the ones that made it foul up after a week alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.