Problem Copying Archives to DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stonecrd, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonecrd

stonecrd Registered Member

I have two computers a desktop that has a CD/DVD-RW and a laptop that has a DVD-R. I have sucessfully created a image backup for the desktop on the DVD-RW. I am using T10.

I tired to mount the desktop DVD-RW with XP sharing but for some reason XP on the laptop will not allow access. So I decided to write the image backup in 4.5GB sets to the desktop and then copy them to the desktop DVD-RW. However, when I try to copy a set to the DVD with XP it says there was an error and will not allow the copy. When I use Sonic it will write the file but then says it cannot verify it and T10 says it is corrupt?

Anyone know how I can acccomplish a image backup to DVD from a laptop that does not have a DVD-RW? I hate to have to buy a USB harddrive just for this operations.

Thanks

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try creating the archive on the desktop but set TI's split to 1492MB which allows 3 tib files to fit nicely on a DVD and also does not invoke the UDF file system but writes in the ISO9660 system.

If your budget will allow it you might be better off buying the USB drive and use it with your desktop as well if you are relying on DVDs for primary archive storage.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

The built in XP cd burning capability does not support re-writable drives of any flavor.
    You could back up the files to another drive and let TI split them to your desired size as you found out. Or just create one large backup file on your desktop for the laptop and use that as your restore image when needed. You need to make sure you validate the image when it is created before burning to DVD or after it is burned. You have to use TI to "mount" the image and then windows explorer can browse it. Suggest you RTFM.

4. stonecrd

I did read the manual, I suggest you read my message better. I did exactly what you wrote. I created three backuup files sized for DVD copy on the desktop. However, XP will not copy these to the DVD, it says it cannot perform the operation. The Sonic Digital Media software that came with the computer will copy the archive but then gives an error on copy verification. If I try to read the copied DVD with TI v10 it says the file is corrupt.

5. thomasjk

I did read your post, the XP built in support does not work with DVD's or re-writables period. You subject Re: Problem Copying Archives to DVD-RW post kind of implied you were trying to burn to a DVD RW hence my comment. Did you validate the image before burning it to the DVD? I suggest you get some free burning software such as http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ and try that. When you say "Sonic Digital Media software will copy the archive" are trying to just copy the file to the DVD or is the software actually burning it.

6. stonecrd

Tom,

As I mentioned in my post I am using Sonic to burn the CDs. I appreciate your response but I do bristle a bit when I see RTFM especially the F part.

I did figure out my problem, by default, the Sonic software writes in rewritable mode, when I set this to write once then the tib file is written correctly. Thanks again for helping

Ray

7. thomasjk

Read The Friendly Manual. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.