Problem 1: Acronis TI 11 Home and TrendMicro Internet Sec 2008

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kaispeth, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaispeth

kaispeth Registered Member

Hello,

does anyone have the same problem.
    True Image 11 stalls and becomes unresponsive in combination with the new Trend Micro Internet Security Suite 2008.

Once I uninstall the Security Suite TI 11 home works fine?
    Acronis told me to uninstall the Trend Micro Package. Great short term solution but I am not willing to go back to Symantec or others.

Anyone found a solution or a fix?

thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kaispeth,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

I spend a lot of time lurking in the Windows Vista forums, and I can tell you that Trend Micro, is one of three packages that breaks other parts of the software, and in the Vista Windows Mail forum it is recommended over and over that it be not only disabled but entirely removed. There are a number of free packages that will perform beautifully, and there is no need to put up with this.

In your case you probably have to choose between Trend or Acronis. There are other choices for protection. Norton comes in with equally bad results. There is just no need to pay for it at present. The freebies have more advanced versions that are modestly priced. It's a whole subject itself.

In only a very few instance, do posters come back and say that after removing the offending suite that the problem remains.

Good luck!

4. kaispeth

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I will remove trend micro altogether.
    Can you recommend some good security software (Firewall, Spyware, Virus)

thanks
    Ks

5. Ray Clare

They are a lot like cars, everyone has their favorites. But, I use Zone Alarm, free version, and AntiVir free for home use versions. I've used ZA for many years with complete satisfaction, and AntiVir for a few years on a Win98SE machine, which it no longer supports, and my current Vista Home Basic machine. Kapersky and AVG come in for good ratings from many on the forums, but both seem much more complex to me. Maybe that's better, but What I have seems adequate to keep out the badguys. Constant upgrading of a firewall is mostly marketing hype, but daily updates (automatic in the background with AntiVir) are necessary with virus software.

Neither has ever conflicted with Acronis. You always want to shut down the AV sofware when making an installation, but these days it so seldom conflicts, that I often forget.

All of them will want to sell you their most advanced version, but frankly for home use, there is little point.

Again, I wish you luck. You'll probably have to Google to find the free versions. The main websites often make no mention of them, but they are there, and you want to get them from the MFG website if you can.

6. Ray Clare

There must be a hundred free and more paid versions of malware scanners out there. Vista has it's own, and that' all I use for now. For a while I did use Ad Aware up to version 2007, but in all that time it never found anything that got past the others except for a few cookies that I was going to get rid of in my daily clean up with CCleaner - another freebie.

You can find many of these at http://www.vnunet.com/downloads/
    where several are on the first page, and the search will find the rest.

This site has proven a very reliable source of information for me over the years. Mostly the British are very down to business.... You can safely download from them, though they are often slow, or follow the link to the manufacturers site and download there.

Bye

7. kaispeth

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.
    I tried the New ZZ suite, I had an old license I upgraded.
    that brought my VISTA PC to a crawl.

I need a program that;s light on the resources.
    Will try Kapersky for Virus and firewall.

8. Ray Clare

I am not sure what ZZ suite is. Is that Zone Alarm? In general avoid the suites, they sprawl all over your system, and as you see slow it. The software I suggested has minimal resource demands. Also forget email scanning. It does nothing that the normal scanner does not, and often gets in the way.

Isn't this fun! The stuff you have to learn to run a computer. :)

9. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

AVG works fine for me & doesn't 'hog' your system either + its free.:cool:

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Gentlemen, no offense but if you have questions regarding other security software (firewalls, antivirus, antimalware, etc.), please open a new thread in the appropriate forum. The forum you are posting in now is for Acronis True Image related support questions.

Thanks,

Snap

11. kaispeth

Thanks for the advice again. Yes I meant ZA. Under Vista this Zone Alarm deosn't work well.

So I followed your advice and changed my entire security setup as follows:
    - AVG free Virus scanner
    - PC tools free firewall
    - advanced Windowscare pro v2 - includes a Spyware scanner.

I hope this will cover me. My LinkSys Router actually has a build in firewall as well, wasn't sure if this suffices and added that free PC tools one.

Looks like Acronis Trueimage still works, problem solved, unless these utilities that I selected are poor and don't do their job.

Kai

12. kaispeth

Understood, but this is directly related to Trueimage Home 11, the new version SUDDENLY freezes now with the Trend Micro Suite.

PC-Cillin 2007 didn't have that issue at all, therefore I think this threat was relevant.

KS

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, in that case, after the way I saw how Zone Alarm treated its paying customers with it's last version, I dumped them and went to Kaspersky. Works great, very flexible, can be set up to be very powerful -- very good forums for help. The ZA forums were censored and the "experts" kind of snotty, imo.

14. davcbr

davcbr Registered Member

I think the anti-virus portion of Zone Alarm was sub'd out to Kaspersky

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ZA licensed the AV engine from Kas but ZA's implementation was, well, not up to KAS standards. The earlier builds of ZA that were released would crash ZA leaving you with no protection at all and not tell you that had happened -- probably the worst thing security software could do. Reminds one of ATI 11, in a way -- software with promising features but not really ready for prime time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.