Privatefirewall performance questions...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Wild Hunter, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

What are Privatefirewall impacts on the system resources? Is it "lightweight"?

Thanks.

2. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Unnoticeable. The install does not lie the file is less than 4mb.

3. Wild Hunter

And is it compatible with Windows Firewall?

Or better yet, is it necessary to keep Windows Firewall and its related services enabled when using Privatefirewall (talking about Windows Management Instrumentation and Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS))?

Edited: This is on XP x86.

4. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

PF is light here, only 22mb running on my win8 64bit and no noticeable boot time increase
    I don't know if once installed PF automatically disable windows firewall and all their services because simply is the first think I do by myself
    But PF is a firewall, not as others solutions that are simply GUI for windows FW and so they need WinFW active; it is a good fw with his active service and in addiction a realy good hips :thumb:
    Conclusion: if you use PF disable MS Firewall and his service

5. Performance: there's actually some serious startup delay when running MSys or Cygwin programs. Other than that, no noticeable impact.

Compatibility with Windows FW: you can probably turn off the network firewall component and leave Windows Firewall on. Normally I think PF turns off Windows FW.

OTOH, you won't get much in the way of performance improvements by turning off services in Windows. Windows components are pretty tightly integrated, and it's already well optimized for desktop use; improving desktop performance is nontrivial, short of actually buying more RAM or whatever.

6. Wild Hunter

Mmm.. that seems undesirable... one more question, does Privatefirewall start its protection before the boot is completed (like Windows Firewall)?

7. Hmm, good question. It should load its rules before any network connections are made, but I honestly don't know.

Re MSys/Cygwin startup delay, Online Armor and Outpost also do that. Not sure why; I'd guess it has to do with how Cygwin programs launch processes. (IIRC they use ported versions of the UNIX fork() and exec() functions; I could be wrong though.)

8. Wild Hunter

Thanks everyone for your answers! I'm testing it now.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.