Privatefirewall Blocking Homegroup

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ariston, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Ariston

Ariston Registered Member

Hi all

I installed Privatefirewall on my main PC (Windows 7) after deciding I really ought to start using one and reading a review which sounded promising and I liked it - until I realised that my Homegroup connection out of the PC is fine but all of the many, many laptops (mixture of 7 and 8) in the household have difficulty getting into the PC.

The standard Network is fine in both directions, but Homegroup is out only for the PC with Privatefirewall. Turning the firewall on and off turns the connection to Homegroup on and off so I'm pretty sure it's the problem. I have tried to go through an elimination process to determine which if any controllable setting is responsible and have got as far as unticking everything in the Network Security without effect.

Part of the annoyance is that I had finally got around to resetting the Homegroup on all the machines so they could all see and share with each other.

Any tips, pointers or definitive answers gratefully received.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I too had problems with PF, it even blocked my whole single-PC connection. Removing this security product didn't solve the problem.

If I may suggest, COMODO Firewall is a much better solution IMO.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

You could try putting PF into "Training" Mode for a couple days and be sure to use those devices/connectyions while in that Mode.

4. redcell

redcell Registered Member

I've been using PrivateFirewall for my computers to communicate (RDP, filesharing) with no issue. I have 3 computers with different mixed settings - XP with PF only, Win7x64 with Comodo only & Win7x64 PF and Comodo. And yes you can use PF (supersedes) alongsite Comodo Internet Security.

I think it has something to do with the PF settings; I customized mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.