Privatefirewall and Windows 8

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kdcdq, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I sent an email earlier today to Privacyware's support staff to find out if they are working on a new release of Privatefirewall that will run under/on Windows 8. :doubt:

When they send me a response, I will update this thread with the new answer that I receive.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It works (based on my layperson experience)

3. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Thanks for the information as far as compatability goes.I have grown quite accustomed to it along with WSA.I sent support a message 4 days ago and have yet to hear back.As i do not know much about Win8,guess i will have to do my research as to how to disable win8 firewall and defender,or does it switch off automatically upon installation of a 3rd party security app.Thanks again for the info:D

4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

That make two of us! It is a match made in heaven (at least as far as I am concerned). :D :thumb:

5. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Here is the reply I got from Greg with Privacyware's tech support today via email:

~Comments removed. Please adhere to the TOS regarding private communications. Use your own words.~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  6. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Sorry about that Ronjor; it was not my intent to post anything confidential. :'(

The bottom line is that Privacyware IS apparently working on a new release of Privatefirewall with full Win8 support; in the meantime, expect to see a "patch" to Privatefirewall for minimal Win8 support "soon".... :cool:

7. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

I plan on using the built in win8 firewall along with WSA for the short term.Privacyware will not rush the product out untill it is 100% ready.Takes time,and after all,their development resources should be first focused on their paying customers for their professional solutions,and then when time allows,move on to the free solutions.Most of the driver work in relationship to windows 8 is done..most of what's left are ironing out the process monitor and the gui.I advise patience.As Windows 8 is a more secure O.S.,i have zero problem running the built in firewall along with WSA until PF is ready.It will be well worth the wait i am sure:D

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Judging from the privatefirewall section in this forum it does seem to have a few issues.Freezing and bricking some computers up and the GUI hardly inspires any confidence but if it works for people then good for them.

The GUI does need a complete overhaul,I for one will not be attempting to install it again after freezing issues.The protection offered seems limited too.one wrong click with an hips alert and your kaput.:ninja:

9. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

wait for next version i emailed them and new update with windows 8 support is comming, also the current version is buggy.

10. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

It should work, but I don't know how compatible will be with LLDP.

11. kathylee

kathylee Registered Member

Please help, guys!
    I tried this firewall and all was well until I denied something that popped up and now I can't get IE to connect to the internet! I went into the settings but I can't make it reconnect. I tried restarting the PC but that didn't help. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Right click on the PW icon, select Main menu, then Applications. Remove entry for IE

13. kathylee

kathylee Registered Member

Thanks, Cudni! That was easy!

14. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

tried that today was awful! any free light FW out there?? non intrusive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.