Privatefirewall 5 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am really not sure at this point, but it looks like the service is just for protection on boot. I am going to check what protection is in place during boot/shutdown.
    If DSA is fully integrated then a second process would not be needed.

Yes.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

On my quick tests, there is no protection during boot, all comms are allowed, so I do not know what the "Privacyware network service"(PFNet (pfscv.exe)) is for.

3. ciannicello

ciannicello Registered Member

The Privatefirewall Network Service (pfsvc.exe) is designed to protect the machine before user logion. One logged, the service becomes 'dormant' until the next boot, etc.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi ciannicello,
    This is what I thought, but on checking this was not the case. All comms where allowed during boot. (A very simple check is to ping the PC during boot, the PC does reply with PFW installed. It also allows netbios etc.)

5. ciannicello

Stem,

By default, ping and netbios are allowed inside local network, but if you switch 'Network Security' to HIGH from the Main Menu, and reboot, the ping should no longer work.

We will try to articulate this distinction better in our next build.

Chris

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

ciannicello,
    I had all settings to high, and local network was removed from the "sites" so no comms are allowed within the network while PFW is active, But as I reported, during boot there is no protection. See my previous posts.

You should try to get the network protection during boot active in the next build.

7. ciannicello

Stem,

I have tested this before, but I will retest asap to see what my findings are...

Chris

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

ciannicello,
    Yes, please do recheck this. I did setup again to recheck myself (before my last post on this thread).

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

ciannicello,
    Could you please also look at:-
    When the DNS client is disabled, all applications need to make DNS queries. The popup from PFW is continuois for the DNS requests, as only one direction is placed within the rule, but then DNS lookup is blocked, and a need to manually edit the DNS rule to allow IN/OUT is needed before this is allowed correctly.

10. ciannicello

Stem,

The developers are looking into the DNS issue. What version of PF5 are you using?

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Chris,

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Kill attempts:

I ran the "APT" and "SPT" kill methods.

PFW did very well with "APT", intercepting all, even the Kernel and Crash methods. (method 10 did not run on my setup, so un-tested)

With the "SPT", I see that normal kill 15 (simulation of normal process exit) did terminate. Also kill 16 ("bruteforce" message posting) caused PFW to terminate (although the test reported as failed)

13. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hey Stem, thanks for putting this firewall through the spectrum of tests and reporting your findings......much appreciated :thumb:

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yes, and that fact that this thread has continued on for so long, i've taken notice because i've seen Stem drop some firewalls pretty quick.

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi tobacco,
    I do find this firewall interesting, although a little buggy in places. Example is the DNS per app, and with kill methods. In XP this firewall will pass all 16 SPT kill methods, but in W2K it failed 15/16. I am also concerned with the fact that this firewall allows all localhost comms with hard_coded rules. I keep bugging to try and get some improvement, but will only do this for so long.

16. ciannicello

Stem, we are working on a new build that addresses some issues, and the developers are going to try and address the DNS issue you mentioned.

Chris

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Chris,
    Yes, many thanks. This/your firewall is, at the least really quite good. A few little anomaly, and some minor concerns.

Have you any info on the ability of this firewall to intercept localhost? I do not (personally) like this abilty to be hard_coded. Locahost comms should be intercepted IMHO

18. areyousure

areyousure Registered Member

agreed. this is an excellent firewall product for its size and performance.

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Out of purely speculation does Privatefirewall work as well as Kerio 2.15 ?

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say once the bugs are ironed out it will be a great firewall. Not as light as kerio but a lot more secure in regards to leaktests.

21. dHodges

dHodges Guest

If I may make a request here, it has been a long time. How is the work going with this PFW v5 or newer? I still have Kerio 2.1.5 on my system and would like a better one. Kerio has served me well just need a little more secure feeling.

22. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Have you tried dynamic security agent? Its the free version of private firewall and pretty much the same except for a few advanced features.

23. dHodges

dHodges Guest

"FarmerLee,"

Thank you, NO I have not even heard that one. I will do a search to see where it is and all about it. Did do some looking at the FireWall testing sites and see that CFP has a very Hi score. Downloaded it and now it will not install, it seems there is a "Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." Looks as though it is for XP and above ONLY.

Back to the 'drawing-board', er, search engines and start over.

Thank for the rapid reply, my apologies for the slow reply, we had some rainie (wet type) weather come through,
    P.S. Edited by d > As a matter of FACT, I have downloaded that file and had not installed it yet, just noticed when attempting to download that DSA.Exe file. Thank you so very much that will be installed NOW!

P.S. Edited by 'd' > Maybe I was not clear in my request for a FW recommendation, I am in limbo on Win98SE on a fixed income, retired, over 65. DSA is XP and over only. Comodo is like-wise. Any other?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  24. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Great firewall.
    Works flawlessly, and passed all the tests I took on it.

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.