Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.22.6, posted 12/09/2010
    - added import/export feature for PM and FW rules
    - added option (in File -> Settings) to Always display alerts for outgoing connections
    - added option to "Disable startup splash screen"

The first two features are very welcome. PFW is continuing to improve all the time.

Download via:
    http://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I installed this PFW version on top of previous version. It went just fine. I am WinXP SP-3.

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I did as well. (XP Pro SP 3)

Just remember to "exit" out of PF first, rather than put it into "training mode" as some knucklehead did the first time around. :oops:

4. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

On this release and the one just prior, I'm getting stealth fails at shields up...on the 7.20.01 August 2010 version it passed (still does on reinstall).

But, all ports show as closed, is stealth really that important?

PS...I using XP SP3 that has been 'reduced' using nlite.

RESOLVED Its all good now, after several restarts...all tests pass.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  5. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Hello;

Want to try out Privatefirewall as I am having problems with OA. I had a good read on the previous post "Privatefirewall updated" (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=279923) and it's very interesting. I have OA Premium now plus I also use MVPS Hosts file(12/04/2010) and I have replaced the HOSTS file in windows 7 with it. Well I am not really knowlegeable about firewalls but a couple of questions though:

In thread #77,

"You can readily accomplish that by using the HOSTS file. Simply copy&paste the blacklist to HOSTS, and point all of the blacklist's IPs & URLs to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0. By doing that you can freely change from one HIPS/FW to another HIPS/FW, as often as you like, and never have to worry about moving the blacklist around."

"IPs don't work in the HOSTS file. You can only use host names/domain names."

a) Can I open OA Premium blacklist and copy and paste it to the HOSTS file?

b) How can I make it "that way" so (lifting from Mr.bellgamin..) can freely change from one HIPS/FW to another HIPS/FW, as often and never have to worry about moving the blacklist around...?

c) How about updating the blacklist that I "copied into" the HOSTS?

Got confused here but would like to learn from you guys.

Request some ideas, explanation and tips please..

Oh by the way plan to install Privatefirewall in:

XP SP3 : Avira Premium, Malwarebytes Pro, HitmanPro(free) on-demand), KeyscramblerPro, SuperantispywarePro(on-demand)

Windows 7 Ultimate : AvastPro ver5, Malwarebytes Pro, Prevx(free), KeyscramblerPro

6. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hey guys,

Is this a two way FW? I looked around and didn't see anything sorry if I overlooked it.

7. osip

osip Registered Member

Sorry for answering about OA in PFW topic.

You have two options allow/block ip:s/domain in OA:

OAFW2.png

2. If you use the blacklist file. Just put in the ip as all others at the bottom and save it before applying it.

8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

OWW that awesome :D , first to i was asking via mail to be added !! PF support rox !! they take users seriously and not just say thing they, in matter of fact do it :thumb:

9. Rilla927

Hey guys I took the plunge and installed PF and it's magnifico! This FW rocks!

10. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

And I hate splash screens so am Very Happy :)

11. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

there is a question,i have multiple user accounts on win-7,and if do a "switch-user" in my one of the accounts and then when i log into another account, private fw gives an error saying "private firewall does not support running in concurrent user accounts..."

does that mean it is not protecting in the other accounts?

12. Scoobs72

Correct. It can only run in one account at any one time.

13. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I just fired off the following inquiry to Greg over at PF but would be interested in thoughts from our members on the following:

I just upgraded Microsoft Security Essentials to the latest version (2.0.657.0) and had a couple of questions in regard to how the settings in MSE will interact with PF...

MSE allows the following real-time protection:

1. Monitor File & Program Activity On Your Computer:

Off (Uncheck the box)
    Monitor All Files
    Monitor only incoming files
    Monitor only outgoing files

2. Enable Behavior Monitoring (Check or uncheck box)
    (Check for certain patterns of suspicious activity)

I was wondering how this would work with the Process Monitor in PF and what would be optimal in terms of configuration on my XP Pro SP3 machine so as to avoid any issues between PF and MSE if there is some overlap there.

Any thoughts on this from those with experience with these two great programs?

14. Rilla927

That's not good. I'm glad this was mentioned. I will be emailing them about this.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  15. Rilla927

Greg said they are working on the LUA problem as we speak and will be fixed soon.

@Blues7

How are they working together? I was gonna try the same combo.

16. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Does anyone know if Private Firewall would be a good firewall to use with Sandboxie and Mamutu? Would the default settings be okay with that combination?

17. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm running the latest version of Private Firewall with latest mse in vm - XP Pro sp 2. One G RAM devoted to vm.

I've only run them about 2 hrs, but not a single problem. The combo is so light I wonder if they're working.

I installed MSE first, then private firewall. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, running both in default mode, just as downloaded. I wanted to see if there was any conflict. So far, no trouble.

18. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Don't know anything about Mamutu but it is seamless with Sandboxie.

19. Scoobs72

I ran that combination for a while, however used PFW as a firewall only. HIPS was handled by Mamutu, which itself is darn good at stopping real-world malware. PFW with HIPS activated + Mamutu is overkill imo.

20. justenough

Sounds good. I didn't realize it had HIPS. I am just looking for a simple firewall, a step up from Windows firewall, with outbound protection. Maybe the HIPS can be turned off?
    edit: Scoobs, from what you said about how you used it, the HIPS part can be turned off in Private Firewall. I will go ahead and load the program and see how it does.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  21. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Yes, you can turn it off. (As I have while testing out the HIPS within SpyShelter.)

It is a very good firewall (imho), is intuitive and offers flexibility as well.

Their support is great, the product is constantly being updated and new features added. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

22. Scoobs72

Mamutu is technically a behaviour blocker which in itself is an intelligent HIPS. The HIPS on PFW can be turned off - set the process monitor slider to off, and on the settings menu>Advanced, untick "Enable Process Detection".

23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

You may also wish to untick "System Anomaly Detection". (Though perhaps it is undone with the earlier steps.)

24. justenough

Okay, Private Firewall loaded with no problems, and I followed your suggestions. Put the Process Monitor slider to 'Off', and unticked both 'Enable Detection' settings. Thanks for the help, this might be a good match for my other security programs.

25. Scoobs72

Good point, I forgot about that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.