Privacyware

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zip, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zip

zip Registered Member

Privacyware knows that their firewall doesn't stealth ports and they wont fix it.

They don't care. Very poor support.

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Isn't that the main purpose of a firewall....

3. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Im running PFW (all settings high), with Avira free (set to high heuristic detection), Sandboxie free, Emet, Open dns, Dnscrypt, Hardenit, on w7 64 bit.
    I stealth Shields Up, and PCFlank, I also pass vulnerability tests.

With PFW i set everything to filter... is that advisable?
    No problems so far.
    Also, i cant see how to set svchost as outgoing only...
    Help?
    Also, I ran comodo leak test sandboxed and it gained me 40 points (from 280 to 320).
    Comments?
    I was thinking if i could isolate vulnerabilities, it would help.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Okay i too was having problems with PFW stealthing the ports.
    However i disagree with you on your view of the privacyware support.It was the best support i have ever experienced from any vendor and greg was extremely helpful in trying to resolve my issue.sadly i could not get my issue solved.
    I was probably not configuring it correctly and i didnt give it enough chances.
    The support was excellent from my experience.

5. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Stealthing ports? No it isn't.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Stealthing is not important.
    Closed is.:)

7. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

The OP doesn't seem to know it yet....

8. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I am also using PFW. Are you sure its not stealthing ports? I am behind a router so who knows. I agree that the support is phenominal,the developer really cares. I am sure he would become involved and if he could fix it he would. For me the important thing is that it works well with other security Apps & recognizes new applications in a timely matter. In other words it doesn t freeze up the computer. A bunch of these other "Super " Firewalls do bring my Windows 7 x 64 to a dead stop. The latest to do this was Zone Alarm. I am starting to believe that when you get a firewall that will work with your installation you should use it. The next time you install the same product it may not work at all. Stealthing ports is the least of my worrys.

9. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Stealthing is pointless imo. When an attacker pings a stealthed port he gets no response. That tells him it's a stealthed port, because if there was truly nothing there he'd get a "Destination Unreachable" response.

If the port is closed he'll get a response saying the port is closed.

Both stealthed and closed tell the attacker the same thing.

That's why Privacyware "doesn't care".

10. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I haven't used it since I went from XP to Win7....I do know that when it was in training mode it wasn't stealthed...But once I took it out of training mode it was, at least according to GRC.

Oh, and I found their customer service second to none, which when you consider PFW is freeware is remarkable.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I won't reply on topic as this one has been beaten to death on several occasions. Just a few remarks -

You cannot ping ports, there are no port values in ICMP headers. It's a network layer protocol.

If an attacker pings a system and gets a "destination unreachable" than either the system is really not there or it is configured to not reply to pings. A "destination unreachable" message is sent by the last router (not the system itself) on the way to target system.

Cheers,

12. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

no ip unreachables anyone? Or is that on the hit list too?

13. itman

itman Registered Member

Here we go again ...........

If your behind a router with a firewall, you have to turn off the router's firewall while running the stealth test. If you don't, what is being reported by whatever stealth test you are running is that the router's firewall ports aren't stealth.

14. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Thanks for 'going again'...I for one didn't know that, have you ever gleaned knowledge about something you didn't know from this site?.....I find it excellent for getting myself informed personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.