Privacykeyboard.exe ??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rainwalker, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Greetings all when checking me startup menu this morning i found a new entry....... Privacykeyboard.exe............... i, as far as i am aware, did not download this. Does anyone have any idea how i may have gotten it. Maybe a piggyback on SpywareBlaster/AdAware or some such program o_O
    I am on a stand alone puter and not acting as a server as far as i know. It is a anti-keylogger used with servers but where did it come from :doubt: i'm thinking maybe i should dump it but .............. any thoughts

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

When you find such a reference in your startup locations a good first step is to locate the file (if it even exists) and just check its Properties.

Now certainly most malware doesn't give valid information in the file properties, or perhaps they try to fake information to look like good (valid) programs. But, in many cases when you find strange files like these, the file properties may simply show that it is a part of some larger application that you did indeed install, but were unaware that it included this extra file.

Looking at the information in file properties is of course not the end but rather the beginning of data gathering. Scanning the file with various anti- tools is another thing to do. Sending the file to various anti- experts is another. Doing a search engine search for the file name may provide more info, and so on.

In any case, can you tell us what file properties there are, if any (right-click file > Properties > look through all the tabs for different file / version info)?

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thanks for getting back LWM :)
    When i first discovered this i did all that you suggested and found nothing so i then posted to the forum thinking somebody would be familier with the program aside from what i learned online i.e. what i posted. Since i can not locate the file i removed it from the start up list. i went through me 30 day free RegSupreme period so i will pay for a copy and see if it discovers that what is the staatup folder is only a remnant.

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Check out these sites for starters. If this is your product it is a very good one.
    How do I know it is good? Well just look at the price, that's how you can tell how
    good something is! (right?)

http://www.anti-keylogger.com/

http://products.datamation.com/security/security/1075890160.html

http://www.pcworlddownload.com/system-utilities/security/PrivacyKeyboard.htm

- HandsOff

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) The price reflects the market to which it belongs, namely corporate servers. (Everything is overpriced for official business stuff anyway.)

PrivacyKeyboard for Servers 3.1

The question is, how did he get it? Hmmm.

Have a great day! :)

6. spyaccess

spyaccess Registered Member

PrivacyKeyboard
    http://www.privacykeyboard.com
    is a wonderful anti-keylogger program.
    I can't see it doing any harm, unless someone falsely names the .exe file on your machine.

7. deaddybear

deaddybear Registered Member

PrivacyKeyboard is the best anti-keylogger in the world. But, guessing from the outrageoulsy expensive price, it's highly unlikely that you somehow forgot about it. The damn thing is 80 bucks<snip>
    Is this your personal computer where you install all the software?

edited to remove SPAM - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2005
  8. whitebear

whitebear Guest

I have found some keyloggers that cannot be stopped by Privacy Keyboard, shows how good the program really is. Go ahead and pay $80 for an obsolete program if you want to.

9. controler

controler Guest

I am sure whitebear can't be talking about just a keylogger alone.
    You can only hook keystroks in a certian number of ways so am guessing the keyloggers you are refering to are included in some packed trojan as well.

If he didn't install the program himself, someone else had to or it is a trojan stealing the ligit programs name.
    If using PG, you shouldn't have to worry.

controler

10. *superspy*

*superspy* Guest

Yeah i have also defeated Privacykeyboard with a commomly available commercial keylogger that anyone can buy too! Looks like PK is obsolete now. That is if you know what the keylogger is that will beat PK. ;) :D

11. controler

controler Guest

Any security program can be defeated ~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2005
  12. CN232

CN232 Guest

Even PG+regdefend+KAVo_O?

13. spyaccess

spyaccess Registered Member

hehehe.. so true... I remember a saying from Italy "Locks are to keep the innocent out". Meaning basic security is a great means from blocking out 90% of dangers, but if someone really wants to get in they can find a way

14. CN232

CN232 Guest

PG+KAV is hardly 'basic' security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.