Privacy software?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by computer geek, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Hi guys. I was just wondering if there were any free ip hiding softwares. Could u provide ze download link?:D

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. computer geek

Thanks fo replying, I got jap and it can still locate my real ip! Any ideas how to configure it?

4. AKA Tank

AKA Tank Registered Member

Well I don't know if you found your answer or not but those free IP masks sucks. Honestly, I used them and found nothing good to come of them. You really need to pay for the service they offer you. That is just what I have found out from trying to do some research. I use one called Private Proxy if you are interested in checking it out.

5. computer geek

(Thanks) Well, can u gimme a link please?

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

7. computer geek

8. tradetime

Dude, try reading the link I gave you, starting perhaps with "First steps" I certainly won't be able to do a better job of explaining it that the guys who own it, and if you get stuck post back with the bi you are stuck with and I or someone cleverer than me will I'm sure try to help.

9. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I am currently use Hide IP Platinum 2.0; at the time I purchased it I found it to be one of the best available. However, it is not free and I am sure that by now there is a newer version. When I purchased it I believe it sold for $30.00 or a little more. Anyway, the site is "http://www.hide-ip-soft.com". Hope this helps.

10. Stephen2_Aus

Stephen2_Aus Registered Member

It seems like Hide IP works by importing a list of anonymous proxies and configuring Firefox/IE to work through a random proxy from the list?

Such results can be achieved easily through free software, and the anonymity is questionable.

Not only are your page requests not encrypted, but the proxy selected can still track your surfing habits/web requests.

I recommend TOR for anonymous web surfing, though the speed is slow.
    I haven't tried JAP though it sounds exactly like TOR in principle, which is a good methodology.
    Also TORRIFY (Xerobank) is (as far as I understand) basically a pay version of TOR where you pay for some extra speed.

11. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I use xerobank pro VPN. It is better than tor as far as I am concerned. It covers my entire system including messenger etc. I have it on a USB stick so I can take it with me wherever I go. The servers are in Europe and they provide an email account that is handled there too. It is way faster than tor and I can use flash and javascript without having to worry about revealing my true IP, which is something you can't do with Tor. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

JAP is required by the German government to have a backdoor - so, not as anonymous as one would think.

Tor (free) or xeroBank browser is the best option only if you have a high speed connection (i.e. dialup is too slow). xeroBank has a $10/month version which is affordable to most and if you pay more you get the higher bandwidth - or, so I believe (Note: I do not use either).

-- Tom

13. tradetime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Anon_Proxy

14. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I on ocassion use Ghostsurf. I will not get into another discussion of how private it is because it is located in the US or for that matter why they collect private data on customers so that they can conduct business in sales but it does change your ISP address & it can be used in a lot of ways as an anonymity proxy. It costs about 30 dollars US & is a one time purchase. I also believe it could be chained into something like the old proximitron with other proxys. But it might take some fiddl ing to do this.

15. lotuseclat79

16. computer geek

Thanks, sorted out now.

17. tradetime

Nice one:)

18. caspian

That looks interesting. But what I am wondering is will javascript and flash etc....reveal your true IP if they are enabled with this service?

19. caspian

I have the same question for this service as I do for JAP. Will javascript, Java and flash etc....reveal your true IP if they are enabled with this service?

20. lotuseclat79

I find it difficult to believe that Javascript, Java or Flash would have anything to do with anything other than rendering content on a website.

The reveal of an IP if you use direct connection and no service like Tor or a browser like xeroBank is fairly well understood that your IP address will be revealed, but is not dependent on Java, Javascript or Flash.

An IP address is something that is down at the communication protocol layer level of your computer - not up at the Java or Flash level of content rendering software. Your IP address is needed to communicate back to your computer regardless at some point along the path from the destination. Proxies do a good job of hiding the IP address.

-- Tom

P.S. If someone knows something specific about this issue that is contrary to what I have stated - please correct me if I am wrong.

21. caspian

I don't even understand that sentence. But I do know that I have heard this many many times. I have heard that even with Tor, java/javascript/flash can be manipulated to reveal your actual IP address......your ISP and all. It is my understanding that this is why the xerobank browser has all of these features disabled by default. I have also read that the "noscript" addon is used for this purpose as well.

I personally like all of the art and video and stuff and want all of these things. That is why I am so happy with xerobank pro VPN. I don't have to worry about it.

22. AKA Tank

AKA Tank Registered Member

Sorry for the delay...have been out of town and away from ol' faithful (my computer).

http://www.privacyview.com

Product is called: Private Proxy

23. lotuseclat79

Hi AKA Tank,

Private Proxy works for Windows only, not Linux or Mac OS X.

All it is probably doing is setting up an ssh account for you at their webserver and encrypting your browser traffic from your browser through your ISP to their website and encrypting it back to your computer then decrypting the reponse to your request.

caspian: At the Tor exit point node, if someone sets up a network analyzer, they can see your IP, but not within the Tor network.

If the communication traffic from a computer is encrypted, then your ISP cannot see where you surf to on the Internet. Tor and xeroBank browser handle this seamlessly, i.e. your communication traffic is encrypted.

-- Tom

24. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

You might wanna check these threads:

Can Java/Javascripts/Cookies reveal real ip behind VPN?

Tor and Javascript

Finding your Real IP Through ActiveX or Flash?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.