Privacy recommendations

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by whitedragon551, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Alright Im basically looking to keep browser activity encrypted or what have you. Only issue is Im not very versed in this stuff. Ive tried Tor, but it doesnt work on my laptop for some reason and Ive tried the FF addon for it as well to no avail.

Im not looking for a paid solution since Im a broke college kid. Just trying to implement a free version that will keep the little teenage hackers away.

2. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Just don't use open WiFi and you should be fine. Use HTTPS whenever you can.

Otherwise, it's Tor or pay-up time for a real VPN provider (like XeroBank).

3. whitedragon551

Not using an open wifi isnt really a solution. I have to use it on the college campus. I dont have a choice to use something else.

4. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

If all you need is free browsing, see <http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=255604>.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm normally a XeroBank fan, but I also use AlwaysVPN. It is OpenVPN-based and is PRE-PAID! You load it up for as little as $8.50 for 5GB or 10GB for $15 (on up to 80GB for $47). You may think, "Only 5GB?" That is a TON of browsing and email. You wouldn't want to watch Netflix videos on it or anything, but for browsing around and email - even the 5GB can last for quite a long while. Great service and support as well. If you can't afford XeroBank, you might want to give AlwaysVPN a try.

6. whitedragon551

To be honest Im a broke college student with a wife and kid. Looking for free stuff. I saw the Xerobank info and was wondering how much bandwidth they allow for their free browser?

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Their free browser works through Tor so it is sloooooooooooooooooooow:ouch:

However, they will be coming out with a free version of Xerobank for surfing only and will be limited by an amount of time (tokens)/day. It will be fast like the Xerobank network.

8. whitedragon551

Oh never mind then. Any other options that arent paid for subscription type things.

9. LockBox

A broke college student. We've (or many of us) have been there. Prepaid 80GB of surfing with an OpenVPN-based service for $47 may sound like a lot of money, but it's just a few bucks a week - one time. 80GB will last forever if just browsing and email to stay secure on campus, hotspots, etc. I would consider it a school expense. Tor is just too damn slow and you don't need monthly recurring expenses now. But if I were in your shoes, I'd fiind a way to secure those few bucks and consider it money (for school) well spent.

10. hierophant

I gather that XeroBank's free Chrome based VM will be time limited, and restricted to browsing. However, it will be a true VPN to Xero Networks. As far as I know, it's still in beta. Perhaps you could sign up for the beta program without a XeroBank account, or during the initial $1 trial month. For specifics, see posts 28, 29, 34, 40 and 43 of the Wilders thread that I cited.

11. LockBox

There you go, WhiteDragon. Great idea!

12. whitedragon551

That would be great. Where exactly is this thread with those post numbers?

13. hierophant

It's <http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=255604>.

Perhaps Steve could clarify whether that'd be OK.

14. whitedragon551

Hmm. Does he ever reply to PMs?

15. hierophant

I don't know about that. He's obviously a very busy guy. Just sign up for the $1 trial, and make a good case for being a beta tester. Use a very low limit card if you're worried. FWIW, there's also Xero Networks' ShadowVPN at $10 per month, but I don't know whether it's available to customers everywhere.

16. whitedragon551

I dont see the $1 trial on the site.

17. hierophant

Just go to <https://checkout.xerobank.com/>, and you'll see. At least, I see that it's 35 USD per month, with a 34 USD discount for the first month. What you see may depend on your current IP address.

18. whitedragon551

Steve linked me to the beta sign ups.

19. box750

box750 Registered Member

You may want to try again to make tor work with OperaTor, it is pretty easy to use.

Basically you download OperaTor, start the browser and tor automatically works for anything you type into the browser. You also do not have to install OperaTor, it works from a USB thumbdrive too if needed.

OperaTor

20. whitedragon551

I managed to get in on the beta for Xerobank. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.