Privacy protection for an external harddrive?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ChrisBUK, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

I bought a Western Digital external hard drive to backup files and also transport extra data with my laptop, which has a rather small HDD.
    I always worry that it will get stolen, or I will lose it and somebody will easily have access to all the data.
    Is there a way to password protect or encrypt the data on the drive?

I use Windows XP if this helps?

Thanks in advance.

2. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I haven't tried the traveler mode option, but I do have a huge encrypted volume on my external hard drive. It is great! Make sure you don't lose your password though, because if you do, you are sh*t out of luck.

4. ChrisBUK

Sounds good, cheers guys. I will try it out later. :cool:

5. ChrisBUK

I just tried configuring that Traveller mode and I don't understand it properly.
    I have managed to make a Traveller Disk on my external HDD and I can see the files, etc. but what do I do now? I did make a volume, but it didn't let me go over 4GB because it is FAT32. I chose the option to Auto-Mount truecrypt volume and chose the 4GB volume on my external HDD.
    I then ejected the drive and plugged it back in again, but it did not ask for a password and still allowed me to access all files, etc.
    What am I doing wrong?

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I reformatted my external drive (as per the instructions) and I created a 400G volume on it. It's funny. It just looks like a little tiny file, hehe!.

I have not tried the traveler mode. But I have truecrypt on my USB stick along with cryptosuite and axcrypt and my xerobank VPN. So I can use truecrypt no matter where I go. And of course it just takes a second to download on any computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.