Privacy Policy - Opppps!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

See if you can find out what is wrong with it at: Privacy Policy.

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Seems like they copy-pasted their policy, which a lot of people do. Why would this be a thing? It makes no sense for a company selling sports gear.

3. lotuseclat79

Since when is it a requirement of US Law to supply SSN to ship a product from Canada to the US? It is not. Further, a SSN is not a destination. They are most likely stating that to check your credit! I have sent an email to the USPS and have not yet received a reply (probably due to the holiday season despite their promise to answer by email in 2 days).

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Why is an overseas supplier requesting my social security number (SSN), tax identification number (EIN), importer or IRS number?

When goods enter the United States from overseas, it is considered an importation and must be cleared by Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

When an individual or company purchases goods from an overseas supplier, CBP considers them the ultimate importer. The ultimate importer can clear the goods or have a broker clear them on their behalf.

If the supplier hires a carrier that provides door to door service, the carrier service usually has brokers in their supply chain to clear the goods on behalf of the ultimate importer. If a formal entry is required, CBP regulations require the broker to put the ultimate importer's identification number on the Entry Summary CBP Form 7501. The ultimate importer's identification number is either the EIN/tax identification number assigned by the IRS or the importer's social security number. A formal entry is usually required for commercial importations valued over $2,500.

If the goods are cleared informally, the Entry Summary CBP Form 7501, bond and identification number are not required. Goods are usually cleared informally when they are for personal use, under $2500 in value, and are not in commercial quantities. However, because there are no guarantees that an entry will be cleared informally, brokers find it helpful to have the ultimate importer's identification number just in case."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...er-/-tax-identification-number-/-irs-number-/

5. lotuseclat79

For a $64 rugby shirt, no SSN is required for an individual purchasing such an item. I have shipped items from Canada previously to my home address in the US, and my SSN was never required. I have even shipped books from England with no SSN required.

Today, at my local post office I transacted my business and asked him if he knew of a US law requiring an SSN to identify the destination of an individual's purchase of a commercially sold item to be shipped from Canada to the US, and he had never heard of such a law.

The linked Privacy Policy in message #1, indicates that the website has mis-intrepreted the US law, where requiring an SSN is simply not a requirement of US law - because clearly, this example ($64 rugby shirt) should never be cleared formally and is an improper interpretation of the example given in message #4.

Since when is an SSN considered a destination (formally a place) - such items have been stolen by identity theft and are clearly very vulnerable especially when a fraudulent website business crops up (not saying this business is fraudulent) - I just did not consider that my SSN had anything to do with a CC transaction, and choose not to do business with them.

6. lotuseclat79

To confirm my finding, I just received an Email in response to my inquiry with the USPS:

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.