Privacy is not dead

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Wow! That's a great article. And I was just thinking of his longaccess project (although I'd forgotten the name) in posting about Tencent.

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. mirimir

I just read "Privacy, Marketing and the NSA" -https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/db794ab80391 and this ...

... reminded me of something very funny.

It was only a year or so ago that I realized that there are ads in Facebook. That's the honest truth. Really!

I've been using Adblock Plus (and before that AdAware) and NoScript for so long (and resisted even looking at Facebook for so long) that it never occurred to me that there might be ads there.

For those too young (or too old, I guess) to remember, commercialization of the Internet was very controversial in the mid 90s.

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Given that there is no encryption that is safe from the NSA anymore (and eventually from hackers) the article in the OP is ancient history

Encryption is dead.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Only if we given in willingly. The issue is far from over, despite how gobsmacked everyone is about the NSA. Its what they have done that is illegal that needs to be called to account, and Americans are more than fiesty to take up the issue when they realize the full scale of what has been done. Encryption is never dead - it is just either poorly implemented or never quite used enough. Give a computer the problem of computing pi to the bazillionth digit and it will tie up the computer resources just like on the Star Trek episode where that solved the problem of regaining control back from the computer. Don't give up hope, and use your imagination.

-- Tom

7. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

The scarcer an essential resource becomes the more valuable it becomes.
    Privacy--an essential resource- is becoming scarcer so its value is going up.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. mirimir

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  9. Reality

Reality Registered Member

That's flawed reasoning, at least for privacy. Privacy isn't a resource it's a right if you will. Moreover, a right is a right and it's value remains constant because of it's inherent value, not dependent on external factors like how much of it you have or don't have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.