Privacy Best Bang For Your Buck?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by SamanthaBewley, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamanthaBewley

SamanthaBewley Registered Member

Which one do you use and why?
    I am not looking for Secresy just a degree a privacy am I potentially wasting my money with E chelon & Carnivore and Isp blackbox recording in operation.?

ixquick.com the New Search Engine calling itself the Worlds Most Private Search Engine?:)

1/. jondos.de/en/

2/. swissvpn.ch

3/. xerobank.com

4/. hide-my-ip.net

5/. hide-my-ip.com

6/. hide-my-ip-address.com/hideip Tor system no refund Policy

7/. hideyouripaddress.net

Speed of service which ones may be used to watch Streaming Video like YouTube.com

Thanks

Samantha

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

i think you are wasting your money to protect your privacy using those when you can achieve just as much for free

3. SamanthaBewley

SamanthaBewley Registered Member

>>>>>
    Thanks for your reply but I find the so called free ones poor quality
    difficult to connect too and useless for streaming YouTube.com

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

xerobank, paid version is the one to go for !

Do a search on here for it and see why.

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Xerobank is the only option, as far as i am concerned.

6. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

I concur with Prince Caspian.

7. 123 Privacy

123 Privacy Registered Member

That is not true unless you are a Linux/router guru with your own bandwidth.

The main reason to use paid service is the tragedy of the commons you get with services with either volunteer/'free' bandwidth.

Usually a small minority end up hogging the service at the expense of others (such as with tor) because their architectures do not yet permit symmetry were each user has to give to receive.

Therefore paid services are the way to get usable speed for the average user.

8. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

I also say Xerobank. Although you will find some people here bashing them (most of it is done by a couple people who seem to have some sort of personal grudge against Steve), I believe they are the best paid service.

I've been a subscriber for over a year now, and I'm for the most part very happy with it. They offer a multi-hop vpn, with many different routes/countries to choose from.

The only real downside is the price at I think $35/month. But for that price you get the multi-hop vpn service with a 75gb monthly bandwidth limit (at broadband speed), but if you go over it you can always use the "turbo-privacy" routes which are single hop and don't count towards your monthly bandwidth limit, and you also get encrypted email, and hopefully at some point in the near future, they will have their file storage system up and running.

edit: I forgot to mention that you get the first month for $1, and you can cancel before you get billed for the second month if you don't like it.

9. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

have a look at coste.com for $5.95 you get a email hosting, webhosting, cgi proxy, ssh tunnel, stunnel (for anonymous newsgroups) and alot of information. its probably the best for what you need it for. xerobank maybe more than what you need by the sounds of it.

10. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

swissvpn is good now they open vpn plus they also have built in firewall for 2 usd a month

11. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Is xerobank global? Or do they only offer their services in the US and certain other countries?

12. markoman

markoman Registered Member

Definitely Global. You can get it from anywhere in the world.

13. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Alright Thanks!

14. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

What about ShadownVPN.com for $10/month? Didn't they used to be $5/month and hook up with xerobank.com for one hop, but are operated by some other business entity than zerobank? Less than 1/3 the cost with part of the benefit of traffic mixing on that one hop.

-- Tom

15. paulxx

paulxx Registered Member

I use www.perfect-privacy.com . Xerobank is probably OK too. We don't know who actually owns either, even if the customer support is good.

Swissvpn is OK if you are in Europe. They do keep logs but there may be more of a legal hurdle to get at them from Switzerland (non EU) or to put black boxes in from outside countries.

16. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

I can't remember the price, but even $10/month is pretty good. I stick with Xerobank though for all the different routes (France, Canada, Netherlands and US, in all different combinations including random ones. Also "turbo" single-hop ones), and the encrypted email.

Although even with all that I think it's still a bit expensive. Once they get their encrypted file storage, it may be finally worth the price.

17. dan901

dan901 Registered Member

Xerobank here too. Had it for about a year and I'm pretty satisfied. Check out their forum. There's a good group of people that float around on there.

18. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Bumped into itshidden.com with both a free and a paid service. Uses pptp for VPN network manager setup. It looks interesting. Anyone familiar with it or have experience using it and can share your evaluation from using it?

-- Tom

19. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I wouldn't pay for anything that wasn't an SSL VPN based on OpenVPN:

Xerobank/ShadowVPN
    AlwaysVPN
    (VforVpn was good for a year or more until they disappeared a couple of weeks ago.)
    WiTopia if you're just wanting hotspot safety, etc. No torrents or P2P allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.