Privacy and anonymity; software recommended but unable to use!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by groovemeister, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovemeister

groovemeister Registered Member

Hi all! :D

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help with a problem I have concerning four pieces of software... I've been recommended Stunnel, Tor, Privoxy and Freecap, for anonymity and privacy.

Now, I am not a complete amatuer on a PC. I know my way around software and how to configure settings, and I've installed my own USB board and recordable DVD drives in my PC. I run anti-spyware stuff, and can recommend the right kind of software to people in need, and can use Hijackthis without problems... but these four have me STUMPED. They are obviously made for people with a competent knowledge of computer systems, which although I would love to have, sadly lack. :(

I'm hoping that someone here knows something about how these four go together. I know that Tor and Privoxy are meant to actually work together, but I followed some instruction on a set-up guide to no avail.

As for Stunnel, I can't even get that to install!

Please help!

2. LinuxPenguin

LinuxPenguin Registered Member

So you can track me down and stalk me, no thanks..
    If you just want privacy browsing, get firefox and the switchproxy plugin which makes it so easy to switch proxies. Otherwise find a working proxy server and put it in your proxy options in the Internt explorer connections settings

3. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

There's many sofwares for protecting privacy and get a 'virtual anonymity".
    Some of them are more easy to use or more efficient than others.
    But it's better to choose a strong privacy protection then searching anonimyty. ;)

SwitchProxy is perhaps a great extension, but it'll weaken the level defense(you'll have to find fresh proxies).
    Just a link for more information:

http://theproxyconnection.com/openproxy.html

Have also a look at a similar thread about the dangers of HTTPS on this forum.

For a beguinning, JAP is a good choice.

Anonimyty is a mirage, but privacy is a reality.

Regards

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Welcome to the forums Groovemeister,

For Tor, you need either use Sockscap or Privoxy but you don't need both. If you only wish to use Tor with a browser, then Privoxy would be a better choice (it offers HTML filtering and logging capabilities which can be useful). Sockscap allows other applications to access Tor.

Firefox can access Socks proxies directly so could access Tor without any further configuration, but it is a good idea to use a web filter (Proxomitron being the most powerful) to ensure that your browser does not "leak" information about you.

See the Setting up Tor/Proxomitron+SocksCap thread for detailed advice about using SocksCap and Proxomitron together.

For Privoxy, you need to edit the main configuration (config.txt) to add the line forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 . to "Section 5.2. forward-socks4 and forward-socks4a". Proxomitron (if you are using it) or your browser should then be configured to use Privoxy (address 127.0.0.1, port 8118 ).

Spy1,
    If you are using SocksCap on Privoxy, then this is unnecessary (indeed, the step you describe would have told SocksCap *not* to Socksify connections to Tor, effectively making SocksCap redundant). Just check that you have configured Privoxy as mentioned above. :)

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thank you, P2K. I'll do that in the morning. I must've gotten the first set of instructions wrong. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.