Privacy and Anonymity Mac

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by flyingtgh, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingtgh

flyingtgh Registered Member

Hello!
    In first place let me just say English is not my mother thong, I´m from Spain, so forgive me any grammar errors. I'm newbie to this forum I've already looked around on stickies and some major privacy threads but I got lost in so many programs and ways to get anonymity over the internet o_O . I used to use proxy when I used windows but now that I've switched to mac I have no idea what works the best and at the same time it´s easy to operate with. The only program I use it´s little snitch and it´s for outgoing connections. I would like you to suggest me good software (freeware and paid) to use with Mac Os X snow leopard. My purpose is to get anonym and encrypt my data but at the same time I must be able to use firefox, torrent client and for example Jdownloader. I thought about TOR but I really want your opinions. All suggestions are welcome in order to find what works best for me. :doubt: :D
    Thanks in advance

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Given that there are OpenVPN clients for Macs, I expect that OpenVPN-based anonymous VPN service would work for you, even if doesn't explicitly provide Mac software. However, I don't use Macs, and can't offer any specific advice. If properly configured, the VPN will carry all of your internet traffic, including DNS requests. I still prefer XeroBank, FWIW.

3. katio

katio Guest

Hola and welcome to the forum!
    Your grammar is fine but there's one mistake that made me snort with laughter.
    "thong" - look it up, too funny :D

There is an ongoing discussion about VPNs and privacy here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=285780&page=6
    Join if you want to dive right into the topic.
    In that thread I also specifically wrote about Tor:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1778644&postcount=17

Little Snitch is a great app against phoning home kind of software, I recommend keeping it.
    You mention Tor and torrents right next to each other. One quick reminder, don't use them together. It's missus of the network and considered very rude to all the voluntary node operators.

For setting up proxies you might want to try Authoxy.

I'd recommend some browser addons as well for improving privacy on the www:
    Ghostery, ABP, NoScript and RequestPolicy
    You don't need all of them, give them a try and use what you like best.
    The first two are blacklisting apps and very easy to use, the last two are more powerful but require a bit more setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.